The Information review by Beck

• Released: Oct 3, 2006
Beck: The Information

Beck, everyone's favorite genre schizophrenic, is back with a brand new album: The Information. The album opens with Elevator Music, a trippy song that's equal parts ambient melodies, exotic percussion, and general noise-making, all held together by Beck's vocals. Think I'm In Love is a bit more radio friendly and offers a respite from the aural adventure of Elevator Music. Cellphone's Dead jolts you into the techno realm with an opening worthy of the soundtrack to Samurai Champloo, followed a synthy bass line accompanied by artfully constructed ambient noise. Strange Apparition is a more straightforward folky song that gives Beck a chance to adopt a more melodic vocal tone.

Beck has perfected the ability to sound both infectiously monotonous and pleasantly melodic. He exploits this talent frequently, most notably on Soldier Jane. He traipses through genres without restraint and uses his voice as a unifying force to make it all work together. The lyrics are good as well. Think I'm In Love finds Beck exploring the line between love and mere attraction while he laments the future of our information age in the title track: The Information.

What strikes me most about this album is it's continuity. In typical Beck fashion, an exotic, dark groove (Nausea) and an experimental techno-tinged romp (The Horrible Fanfare/Landslide/Exoskeleton) inhabit the same album; however, each one feels like it belongs on The Information. Each song is a different ride contained in the same theme park.

RickGardiner
    Beck is such a genius. He uses sounds to their highest advantage. Like who knew making tones on a telephone would sound as good as they did in Elevator Music?!
    TomleHat
    DirtyFryBassGuy wrote: FIFTH POST! this is the best album i've heard in quite some time. it really is. and i hope other people agree he should've gotten awards for it
    bit of an exaggeration! its probably only my 3rd favourite beck album (a long way behind guero and odelay) as its nowhere near as funky as these other 2 albums and there are a lot of songs u could easily throw away