Dichotomy review by Becoming the Archetype

• Released: Nov 25, 2008
Becoming the Archetype: Dichotomy

Unlike anything I've ever heard before. these guys have really really pushed themselves on this cd, and genre wise it's incredibly hard to label. if I had to put this CD into a genre I'd say it would be something like deathmetal inspired progressive metalcore/gothic rock. and believe it or not, it has to be one of the best cds I've ever bought.

BTA's vocalist has one amazing set of pipes, he can reach unbelievable highs, lows and everything in between. for the most part it's a deep growl but he does have an incredible range. as far as lyrics, if you don't like being preached at you wont like their lyrics. their lyrics aren't as bold as their first two albums but they're definetly a christian band and they let you know what they believe.

This CD is a major step forward for BTA, and way better then anything else they've put out so far. the instrumental aren't as monotonus as they were in their terminate damnation album, and the horrible horrible singing that ruined the second CD in my opinion, is almost completely gone from this CD you only have to endure it for about 10 seconds on mountain of souls. The only bad thing I can say about this CD is that in one or two songs the instrumentals can get a little boring I mean they're all really really great but they do kind of overdo it in parts.

disembodied
    Silasm wrote: The only thing that takes away the "death metal"-feeling of the music is the sound/production. I is not dark and deep enough to be death, like for instance Suffocation. It has a much more modern metal sound. Which is cool and suits them very well. Concerning the lyrics, you are a fool if you think they go to far in their lyrics. If you are a christian and believe in God and Jesus Christ, then how can you sing of it too much? No one complains when norwegian black metal bands sing about Satan, OR when the "atheist" bands sing about their faith and what they believe. The black metal crazy people can even kill people, and folks will still buy their music... while the same people vote "yes" to death penalty and support poor african kids!
    i agree man. no one complains until its christian music. if they have such a problem with christian music then why are they even here?
    he'scomingback
    Jon777
    he'scomingback wrote: I agree completely with Silasm. Like he said those bands a while back in Scandinavia went around killing each other and burning down churches and became successful...you don't see BTA or As I Lay Dying or any other Christian band going around killing athiests or anything. Funny how non-christians have a problem with Christ based lyrics but not a stress at all about satanic ones.
    Exactly, couldn't agree more. Anyway, loved this album. The title track is especially tasty.
    Silasm
    crankybot
    The best song on the album has got to be "Artificial Immortality". Despite having corny lyrics about a robotic future, it has one of the most epic breakdowns I've ever heard.
    Wookieslayer
    bad ass album and production \m/ prob terminate damnation still my favorite, however this kicks ass
    DerrickMX
    Would you people stop complaining and arguing about what type of music this is and just appreciate it for MELTING YOU FACE TO THE GROUND??? kthxbai
    Skillet_Panhead
    Definately 1000 steps forward from Physics, which is totally a good thing. To me, Physics was almost crap. There were some things I liked about it, and a lot more things I didn't *coughs*alex's vocals*coughs* I'm really glad they got Jon Star back on lead guitar. I missed that guy.
    skate_guitar
    it's progressive death metal. get overyourselves "real" metalheads. just because a band has breakdowns doesn't make it a core band. listen to beneath the massacre. are they "core"?
    DJbonedog
    Terminate Damnation: Progressive Deathcore Physics of Fire: Progressive Death Metal with Black Metal influences and Metalcore vocals Dichotomy: More Progressive Deathcore, but with less of the -core influence. Seriously, this album doesn't have very many breakdowns...as opposed to bands like August Burns Red, who can have 3-4 per song. Great album; I think they improved on just about every aspect of their music.
    Unskathed
    This is an amazing album, it's epic in every way. And yes, their progressive/melodic death metal, even with all of the breakdowns.
    xDeadReckoningx
    Sadly, that happens with most hardcore AND metal. It's always poppy sounding metalcore that gets popular. To be fair, most of it is excellent, but it's not really pure metal or pure hardcore.
    jmetalf
    yeah real hardcore music hardly ever makes it to the mainstream... it almost always has to be tacked onto another more accessible genre.
    xDeadReckoningx
    Cannibalhell666 wrote: lol progressive death metal dude lol their hardcore but still good band and great album.
    Uhh...not they're not. Have you heard a hardcore band before? And August Burns Red doesn't count.
    jmetalf
    Pretty_Much wrote: This is a very delicious album. But doesn't deserve a 10 IMO. I think an 8 would be suitable. The lyrics go abit to far in some songs. (How Great Thou Art). But the vocal skills thmselves were great. Guitar was nice too. Good reviews.
    How Great Thou Art is a cover of an old hymn. They changed the music for it but it would have been a little bit ridiculous if they would have changed the lyrics too to make it less religious. But yeah I do agree with you, sometimes they almost venture into corniness with how christian their lyrics tend to be. Oh well... still a great band.
    guitarthrasher2
    codythomas117
    devin townsend is just popping up on everyones albums these days! no hate. his solo on detest by A Life Once Lost's album Iron gag is ridiculous.
    Pretty_Much
    philrox
    guitarthrasher2 wrote: I just started listening to becoming the archetype they're a pretty good death metal band.....but they don't compare to like gorgoth,lordi and all them and amon armoth
    How the hell did you get Death Metal? They are metalcore man. Stuff like As I Lay Dying.