The Physics Of Fire review by Becoming the Archetype

Becoming the Archetype: The Physics Of Fire

When I heard about this album coming out I nearly soiled myself and if I knew what I know now, I would have. After recording started and news about recording was released I heard that there were going to be clean vocals which really frightened me. I was afraid that BTA was just going to become another metal band that went soft but after hearing the album my fears were stilled. Alex's vocals are almost operatic and ver progressive. Speaking of progressive, this album is way more progressive than the last one but without sacrificing its metallic brutality. This album is also a lot more focused than the last one and the songs are very catchy. After listening to PoF relentlessly for a week I went back to TD to compare and the first thing I noticed is the improved recording quality. The recording quality of the last album was a bit of a turn-off but Magnusson (producer) really unlocked their potential. There is a lot more synth in this album but it doesn't sound corney. The synthesized orchestral pieces in the background add a lot.

The lyrics (quite literally) scream of the Psalms of old. Echoes of Acts in Epoch of War, and Endure is a paraphrase of Psalm 77:1-14. The lyrics are poetic and the imagery is astounding. I find myself just listening to the lyrics and picturing what jason is screaming to me. One thing I didn't like bout the lyrics in this album is that they didn't expand my vocabulary like TD did. Maybe they had too many complaints but I like having to whip out a dictionary to understand a song. I like how each song weaves in the theme of God being a fire in us. The lyrics flow well from song to song and 4 of the songs fit together to tell the story of mankind's struggle with sin. The lyrics are very clear which is nice but I like having to sit and think about a song for hours to figure it out.

Overall this is a great album. Some highlights include Immolation, Autopsy, Nocturne, The Monolith, and The Balance of Eternity. BTA is a breath of fresh air in a worlf of no-talent bands who somehow make it big. It's also nice to see a talented Christian band who aren't araid to stand up and gowl from the bottoms of their innards "I love Jesus!" As much as I find this an amazing band and their best album yet I can't quite give it the whole 10. A bit of trivia: does anyone else hear echoes of the Agony Scene's Nausea in Nocturne?

thrashing4god
    This is such an awesome cd. I saw them live the day after this cd came out , and I was blown away.
    Barbarastreisnd
    metalbassist12
    Nightfyre
    Barbarastreisnd wrote: I found them two weeks ago on purevolume and listened to all of those songs. I thought they were absolutely killer and I'll probably buy their cd eventually (right now I need to finish buying all of the in flames library and I'm kind of poor). I love this band but I do have to laugh when I see christian metal bands screaming and growling about jesus. I have no problem with metallers being christians, I just don't think jesus praise through growling adds up. Killer band though.
    waahahahahaha... sorry, that was rude, but i listen to so much christian metal its a no-brainer for me. we actually did a thing in my youth group a while back called 'would jesus mosh?' and my youth leader had me (resident headbanger) bring in 3 songs by 3 different bands for reference. the guy that wrote the article was really anti-metal (it's the though that counts!!! its music, and its hardly ever satanic!!! metal, i mean), but we decided that even if He didn't mosh, He probably wouldn't mind if we did. i brought this one in as one of the ones to play... absolutely killer album, i saw them on tour too, they do an AWESOME live show, especially now that they have alex.
    Nightfyre
    metalbassist12 wrote: I also saw this band the day the CD came out in Melbourne, FL. I was blown away. Jason is my idol. I'm kinda sad that the second guitarist left cause he went to school, but they still have Count Seth, Jason, Duck, and Alex (who can shred like no tomorrow!), so they're still sweet. I was talking to Seth and he told me that in their first album they had to limit themselves to things they could play on stage (which also blows me away because that album was awesome too!) but with this album they have like 5 guitar tracks in one song! These guys need to come back to Florida so I can headbang with them for a 4th time. 11/10 for this album.
    the day the cd came out they played the masquerade venue in atlanta, not melbourne... but you're right, alex is an awesome guitarist. i envy you, i've only seen them once.
    metalbassist12
    Then I guess it was the day after .... all I know is that FYE's greatest deal was selling thier CDs for 10 bucks a piece and then after the show the entire band signed them (I bought 2). But yes I guess I was mistaken.