You Looked Better On Facebook review by Before You Fall

Before You Fall: You Looked Better On Facebook

The first thing I had in consideration when I first downloaded this EP, was my knowledge of both the genre (post-hardcore) and their extremely young age. I always give bands fair judgement, but I was not expecting anything decent, considering the usual outcome of young people writing post-hardcore music. As opposed to what was expected, however, I gave them a shot and I was not dissapointed. The guitarists both know what they're doing suprisingly well, with some excellent riffing, harmonising and, in some cases, brilliant soloing. I see a lot of potential in this aspect. Although slightly muddy in areas, the drummer has the right idea and keeps the beat going fairly well. The bassist, in my opinion, is nothing more than your average bassist with little musical creativity or skill shown. Instrumentally the drummer and bassist are the weakest links. Whilst not bad, they don't do what they do as well as the guitarists.

First thing, I shall say, the lyrics aren't my style so this is something I find hard to judge without being too criticising. With song titles such as 'Your Hair is a Wig and Everyone Knows it' coupled with lines like 'You like it rough girl, so do I', the lyrics are pretty questionable to be honest. I will say, though, I like the attitude I hear in the lyrics. In terms of how the vocals sound, the screams are not the best I've heard; Not the worst either. The main vocalist's deep screams are brilliant though. Aswell as the vocal assualts in verses, we have clean vocals in choruses. These really shine. Delivered by the drummer, they're nice and smooth with a catchy edge.

Comparing to other artists, whilst this shows a world of future possibilities, it doesn't stand out as anything special. One thing that could be improved next time around is better drumming, better bass playing and more variety in the songwriting and structure overall - in every song all the verses are screamed and all the choruses are clean, which can be pretty repetitive.

Metallidethium
    EpiExplorer - the core troll Metallidethium - the EpiExplorer troll. I'll check this out just because of the name, lol.
    ninjagayden777
    I actually kind of like this. Not original by a long shot, but the chaps definitely have chops.
    Metallidethium wrote: EpiExplorer - the core troll Metallidethium - the EpiExplorer troll.
    mssrulez
    Also if anyone is checking from their Facebook page, I am proving that I was not lying - I'm luke.
    EpiExplorer
    EpiExplorer
    mssrulez wrote: EpiExplorer wrote: Hey, there's a difference between me trolling and then me being honest, ya know D; Me being a troll is unjustifiably verbally battering In Flames because they're old and lifeless. This is me being honest: This band are complete bullshizzle. Saying a band is 'bullshizzle' with no reason better than saying they're trendy is not a respectable opinion.
    Well, I would give you a 3 paragraph justification for the banality of the entire sub-genre that this band is attatched to, but would you really want that? I wouldn't, I even bore myself to death.
    Bananafish003
    EpiExplorer wrote: Angsty trendy rubbish.
    Somehow I'm the only one here who agrees with you?
    hriday_hazarika
    I'm not usually one to judge a book by its cover, but the album title seriously made me cringe, haha.
    Metallidethium
    mssrulez : EpiExplorer wrote: Hey, there's a difference between me trolling and then me being honest, ya know D; Me being a troll is unjustifiably verbally battering In Flames because they're old and lifeless. This is me being honest: This band are complete bullshizzle. Saying a band is 'bullshizzle' with no reason better than saying they're trendy is not a respectable opinion.
    I mean, this band might not pass muster, but you've bashed a lot of bands that do actually have talent just because it's not your cup of tea. I mean, there is nothing wrong with listening to this kind of music.. it's not like it's Nickelback
    BillR87
    mssrulez
    BillR87 wrote: Metalcore never had the talent in the first place hahahaha trend following eartrash!!
    Narrowed minded ****.