At The Arena Ov Aion Live Apostasy Review

9.3
 8.2
review (1) 9 comments vote for this album:
At The Arena Ov Aion Live Apostasy Reviewed by: Cheeseman Jay, on july 15, 2010

Sound: The first show that I ever saw was on the 23rd of October in Wolverhampton. DevilDriver were the headliners but it was one of the spport acts that stole the show; Behemoth. Behemoth have an enthralling live show, featuring corpse paint, eerie lighting and an altar made of snakes. However, he most important part of any live show is the quality of the musicianship and Behemoth certainly have a lot of quality. This quality is very apparent on their first live album (recorded in Paris on the 27th February, 2008), At the Arena ov Aion Live Apostasy. The tracklist is a devillish mixture of material that spans their glorious career. Here is the tracklist: 01. Rome 64 E.V." 02. Slaying the Prophets Ov Isa 03. Antichristian Phenomenon 04. Demigod 05. From the Pagan Vastlands 06. Conquer All 07. Prometherion 08. Drum Solo 09. Slaves Shall Serve 10. As Above So Below 11. At the Left Hand Ov God 12. Summoning Ov the Ancient Ones 13. Christgrinding Avenue 14. Christians to the Lions 15. Sculpting the Throne Ov Seth 16. Decade Ov Therion 17. Chant for Ezkaton 2000 E.V. With such a mix of old and new material, any fan would be very pleased. Now for the best thing about this album; Behemoth are absolutely amazing live. These live tracks could well be studio recordings and sometimes you do forget that they aren't. Stand out songs for me are 'Antichristian Phenomenon', 'Conquer All' and 'Slaves Shall Serve'. // 10

Lyrics: I've said this many times; Nergal is a great frontman. He really demonstrates that talent here, skillfully performing every song without a even a hint of strain on his voice. It is a welcome change for a Death Metal band to have such a focus on the vocals and I think that's why I love Behemoth so much. The lyrics now. They're some of the best lyricists in Death Metal. I realise that's something of a sweeping statement but I'm just a little bit bored of bands trying to be 'br00tal' by just writing mindless gibberish about malpractice surgery and problems with male sexual organs (glances at Cannibal Corpse). There's something about Behemoth's use of Satanic imagery (though before anyone gets very angry, they are not Satanic) and practices of the occult that shows that they have spent time researching their lyrics and make the convey their message. // 9

Overall Impression: This is a quality live album. There have been a few times when I've listened to a band I love on their live album and I've been dissappointed. Not with this though. I don't want people to think that I'm some kind of Behemoth fan-boy but they truly are brilliant. I heartily recommend that you get this or, if you get the chance, to go and see them in the flesh. You won't regret it. // 9

Comments