Demigod review by Behemoth

• Released: Nov 8, 2004
Behemoth: Demigod

With the transaction of pure black metal to blackened death metal or whatever you would like to call it with 1999s Satanica this band just keeps getting better and better (although I must say I am a fan of their earlier more black metal sound as well). Now the production on this album is absolutely amazing for an extreme metal album. Every instrument can be heard clearly and there is an overall massive wall of sound. Stand out tracks on here are "Slaves Shall Serve" featuring some of the best drumwork on the album and also some amazing riffs and a decent solo as well. Other stand out tracks are "Conquer All", "The Nephilim Rising" and the epic closing track "The Reign Of Shemsu-Hor."

Well the lyrics can be hard to understand at times with the Death metal vocal approach here. But Nergal can growl amongst the best of them, although the vocals may take a while to get used to they are very powerful and compliment the sheer brutality of the music perfectly. But after several listens you can start to make the lyrics out and they mainly deal with historical themes and clearly have a lot of thought and intelligence behind them.

This is certaintly one of Behemoth's best albums, this and Thelema.6 are two of the best albums in the black/death metal crossover genre! For me this album is damn near perfect, with no single flaws in. Although they have pretty much almost abandoned their Black Metal past they still have some elements left of it and their new direction is overall a better one for the band. If this album was stolen I would track down whoever took it and decapitate them with the disc (not so hard it no longer works though). A worthy purchase for anyone into extreme metal or who is new to the genre.

Shazazmic
    Viking metal? When does Nergal ever mention being summoned to Valhalla!??!?
    crocoscar
    "it scares me too much" I loled. Great album, but I prefer Zos Kia Cvltvs and Thelma.6
    Funyun
    my favorite album, i was a littled disappointeed with the apostasy, the next album im getting has to be Zos Kia Cvltvs
    Triviumsucks666
    i dont listen too much behemoth but wat ive heard is ****in sick. I like At the Left Hand ov God, it fuuckin kills!!