Demigod review by Behemoth

• Released: Nov 8, 2004
Behemoth: Demigod

Behemoth has released some really high quality cuts in the past, but Demigod (2004) is what I would call an "epic" album. The black/death metal band out of the black metal capitol of the world (one of Norways sister Black metal areas) Gdask, Poland. They released the record in late 2004 from Century Media USA and Regain Records in Europe. I saw Behemoth in 2003 after I bought "Zos Kia Cultus" (2002) and around March of 2003, Behemoth made their first North American appearence, so as you can imagine, I was beside myself with excitement. I went to see them in New Jersey for Metalfest March 9th where they performed with Deicide, Revenge, Vehemence and Amon Amarth... amazing show. The band had an approach of intensity and incorporated horns and mythology into their music in tracks such as "Demigod" and "Sculpting the Throne ov Seth" making the album "epic" to me.

The lyrics are what I have come to expect from Behemoth; Paganism, Satanism and antiquity all play a big roll in their music leading up to "The Apostasy" (2007). it's a different approach but is still repetative. The lyrics involving satanism with the music genre of death metal and black metal is fitting indeed to the music Behemoth throws at the listeners. it's hella metal!! As for singing talent beyond the lyrics Nergal didn't impress me too much. It sounded like he was straining for something more from his voice, something which he had on "The Apostasy" and not on other CD's.

Annhiliation of the Wicked (Nile, 2005) is the closest piece of work I can think of in terms of death metal that relates to "Demigod" in any shape or form. The speed and brutality/similarity that George Kollias and Inferno bring to the table have a lot in common. The stand outs for songs to me were as follows; Slaves Shall Serve, Towards Babylon and The Reign ov Shemsu-Hor which is an almost 9 minute master piece. Brutal as hell. I love the technicalities and the production value. Everything is so clean and you can hear all the little nuances of their performacne. I hate the vocal performance, and that's about it kids. I would definetley buy it again, seeing as I have bought it twice so far since 2005... yeah!

enzoalmada666
    Of the most brutal albums I've heard, I was 10 in 2010 and sat down to hear this, I am a Christian, but I never thought that this monster would like it so much, overwhelming 10/10
    mtllica
    Sculpting the Throne ov Seth and The Nephilim Rising are just awesome...overall a solid album