Demigod Review

Behemoth: Demigod
Released: Jan 25, 2005
Label: Regain
Genres: Death Metal/Black Metal, Heavy Metal
Demigod is always remarkably consistent, and easily adds another dominant chapter to Behemoth's enviable '00s run.
 Lyrics: 8.3
 9.2
 9.3
Demigod Reviewed by: BrofUJu, on september 23, 2005

Sound: The production for this album is excellent. Unlike many black and death metal bands, all the intruments cut through and theres no trouble hearing individual parts. Some people complain about this, being "over-done" but I think for death metal it works great, theres so much going on it and it doesn't sound like a silly mess. Behemoth has a really original sound. Most of the songs are quite sped up, but there are some songs such as "Conquer All" that slow it down, along with other parts in other songs. Some acoustic interludes are thrown in as well, such as the beginning of "Sculpting The Throne Ov Seth," a breath before the plunge. They're really well done and this works perfectly. I really have no complaints about the sound, its flawless. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics on this album are wonderful, though you'll have a tough time understanding them through Nergal's unrelentlass growls. They are great though and typically deal with historical themes, and all the songs are explained in the booklet that comes with the album, ala Nile. Though they are great, one has to feel this really was done before with Nile, and at times it feels maybe they take it a bit too far. None the less, they fit great with the onslaught that is the music and I have no major complaints. // 9

Overall Impression: Just a great album, good for getting into heavier metal with too. Behemoth and Nile truly lead the way among death metallers today, along with such other acts as Cryptopsy. The drumming is absolutely disgusting, and during a few times in the album you may find yourself open mouthed going "how did he just pull that off?" The guitar work is excellent as well, one must only look to the sweeping solo of "Conquer All" If you're checking Behemoth out for the first time, this is a good album to start with, and I'd reccomend listening to "Conquer All," "XUL," and "Sculpting The Throne Ov Seth," all excellent songs, you should listen if you're new to death metal. Experienced death metallers must check this band out though, as they're at the front of the pack when it comes to extreme metal. // 10

Demigod Reviewed by: threebillion6, on june 28, 2006

Sound: The first song on this album will blow your mind. It starts off so peaceful, then bam! Your ass is ravaged by insane blast beats (Inferno) and heavy riffs laid down by Nergal of course. I saw these guys perform songs from "Demigod" and I can't say I'm not impressed. Then with the title track, Demigod, it takes you back to almost medival viking roots with the intro then more insane drumming. If you want an album that will scare the living shit out of you, this is perfect. // 8

Lyrics: Although you can't understand the lyrics when Nergal is growling them out, this is one for the viking metal fans. With lyrics like "None ov thy empty gods, shall ever stand above me" this is truly a viking metal album. And if you like growling, this is an album to reckon with. // 7

Overall Impression: This album compares with no other band I've heard. Behemoth has their own original sound that comes out in "Demigod" and "Conquer All". I love all the songs on this album. The thing I don't like is partly the growling. It's very unique, but, frankly, it scares me too much. If this were lost I would buy it again, if it were not on my computer already. // 9

Demigod Reviewed by: AltarsOfMadness, on june 30, 2007

Sound: With the transaction of pure black metal to blackened death metal or whatever you would like to call it with 1999s Satanica this band just keeps getting better and better (although I must say I am a fan of their earlier more black metal sound as well). Now the production on this album is absolutely amazing for an extreme metal album. Every instrument can be heard clearly and there is an overall massive wall of sound. Stand out tracks on here are "Slaves Shall Serve" featuring some of the best drumwork on the album and also some amazing riffs and a decent solo as well. Other stand out tracks are "Conquer All", "The Nephilim Rising" and the epic closing track "The Reign Of Shemsu-Hor." // 10

Lyrics: Well the lyrics can be hard to understand at times with the Death metal vocal approach here. But Nergal can growl amongst the best of them, although the vocals may take a while to get used to they are very powerful and compliment the sheer brutality of the music perfectly. But after several listens you can start to make the lyrics out and they mainly deal with historical themes and clearly have a lot of thought and intelligence behind them. // 9

Overall Impression: This is certaintly one of Behemoth's best albums, this and Thelema.6 are two of the best albums in the black/death metal crossover genre! For me this album is damn near perfect, with no single flaws in. Although they have pretty much almost abandoned their Black Metal past they still have some elements left of it and their new direction is overall a better one for the band. If this album was stolen I would track down whoever took it and decapitate them with the disc (not so hard it no longer works though). A worthy purchase for anyone into extreme metal or who is new to the genre. // 10

Demigod Reviewed by: MassacreDeicide, on october 08, 2008

Sound: Behemoth has released some really high quality cuts in the past, but Demigod (2004) is what I would call an "epic" album. The black/death metal band out of the black metal capitol of the world (one of Norways sister Black metal areas) Gdask, Poland. They released the record in late 2004 from Century Media USA and Regain Records in Europe. I saw Behemoth in 2003 after I bought "Zos Kia Cultus" (2002) and around March of 2003, Behemoth made their first North American appearence, so as you can imagine, I was beside myself with excitement. I went to see them in New Jersey for Metalfest March 9th where they performed with Deicide, Revenge, Vehemence and Amon Amarth... amazing show. The band had an approach of intensity and incorporated horns and mythology into their music in tracks such as "Demigod" and "Sculpting the Throne ov Seth" making the album "epic" to me. // 9

Lyrics: The lyrics are what I have come to expect from Behemoth; Paganism, Satanism and antiquity all play a big roll in their music leading up to "The Apostasy" (2007). it's a different approach but is still repetative. The lyrics involving satanism with the music genre of death metal and black metal is fitting indeed to the music Behemoth throws at the listeners. it's hella metal!! As for singing talent beyond the lyrics Nergal didn't impress me too much. It sounded like he was straining for something more from his voice, something which he had on "The Apostasy" and not on other CD's. // 8

Overall Impression: Annhiliation of the Wicked (Nile, 2005) is the closest piece of work I can think of in terms of death metal that relates to "Demigod" in any shape or form. The speed and brutality/similarity that George Kollias and Inferno bring to the table have a lot in common. The stand outs for songs to me were as follows; Slaves Shall Serve, Towards Babylon and The Reign ov Shemsu-Hor which is an almost 9 minute master piece. Brutal as hell. I love the technicalities and the production value. Everything is so clean and you can hear all the little nuances of their performacne. I hate the vocal performance, and that's about it kids. I would definetley buy it again, seeing as I have bought it twice so far since 2005... yeah! // 9

Comments