Evangelion review by Behemoth

• Released: Aug 7, 2009
Behemoth: Evangelion

Just awesome really. It starts with the eerie intro with Nergal shouting something at us. This then goes into the blast beats and mix of distorted guitar with something acoustic that leads to one of the best songs on the CD - Daimonos. Sounds like your typical Behemoth CD with the guitar riffs and blast beats but is still somehow original. Songs like Ov Fire And The Void, Shemhamforash and He Who Breeds Pestilence are just filled with energy while songs like Alas, Lord Is Upon Me, Defiling Morality Ov Black God and (especially) Lucifer are just full of rage and sound so powerful. Ov Fire And The Void probably sticks out the most for the guitar riff and blast beats - especially after seeing the video and being able to picture it while listening to the song. Songs have a mix of heavy riffs with Nergal's amazing vocal work intertwined with instrumental sections reminiscent of Nile. The incorporation of orchestral parts (Lucifer) mixed with slow, destructive sounding riffs make this album great. The only reason this didn't get a 10 is that I think Demigod sounded a bit better overall. The technicality in the riffs stands out but no more than it did in Demigod (which I think had more memorable songs/moments).

Recently I've been getting into ancient culture/religion/mythology and different belief systems so I've been drawn to Behemoths lyrics (among others). I think that interest has helped me to appreciate Behemoth on a different level which definitely made this CD more significant to me. The lyrics in this are full of references to religion and mythology. I have little knowledge of Thelema but I'm pretty sure that's where a lot of the inspiration came from. A bonus in this CD was the booklet came with explanations for the songs and an insight to the meanings of them. The lyrics in this fit perfectly with the instruments and tone of the album. One of the highlights of this is Nergal declaring "At my command, Let the blood of the infants flood the streets of Bethlehem." The lyrics in Ov Fire And The Void are especially memorable and I frequently get them stuck in my head. Nergal's vocals sound similar to those on their previous songs but this isn't a bad thing. He sounds perfect with this type of music so it makes sense for him to keep his style. Definite 10 - probably for my interest in the themes but I just think Behemoth manages to write some of the best lyrics with meaning and intelligence.

I'd say this is one of Behemoths greatest CDs. I like both their "blackened death metal" they play now and their old black metal and I say this is up there as one of the best CDs of the genre. The most impressive songs to me were Ov Fire And The Void and Lucifer. OFATV because of the video I think and it just sounds great anyway. The riff will stay in my mind for a good long time. If I had to compare it to another of their songs it'd probably have to be Conquer All, just for the power in it. Lucifer was great because of the mix of orchestral sounds with the slower riff. This was just enhanced by Nergal singing the words of Tadeusz Miciski's poem. I've always prefered the slower heavy songs so this became a favourite. I have no complaints about this. Maybe the guitar breaks where it's sounding like a miniature solo. But that's minor and forgivable. I don't know if all versions have this but the DVD it came with was a good bonus - especially watching the drummer do his thing in a practice. Epic. If I lost this or it was lost (with no chance of getting it back) I'd wait for it to come down in price and then buy it again.