Evangelion review by Behemoth

• Released: Aug 7, 2009
Behemoth: Evangelion

Poland's Behemoth plays a style of blackened death metal, though that term is really starting to be overused. To sum it up better for their latest Metal Blade release, Evangelion, Behemoth plays extreme blackened death metal at its maximum performance. Evangelion is the most technical release by Behemoth, and the band has made sure to keep the Satanism, thrash riffs, and pounding brutality that has enjoyed success on their previous releases. Like a band should, Behemoth keeps getting better and better. Evangelion opens with Daimomos and completely annihilates all in sight! From the song's opening black metal melodies to Inferno's insane blast beats, this song really sets the pace for Evangelion. Key in Nergal with chants of All hail Dionysis!! in the chorus, and you've got this driving force that isn't slowing down for anybody. Songs such as the current single, Ov Fire And The Void display excellent black metal riffs counter attacked with brutality and blast beats in the intro, and like expected, the song expands into a giant. Those satanic touches the band adds with their guitar tones are incredible, and the sound on Ov Fire And The Void seriously unleashes the beast in many ways! The Seed Ov I is another beast of its own, where the intro I can see a Gojira influence (knowing the 2 bands are close, and have toured together before), giving those chugging low end extreme tones and high pick scrapes, but not to copycat Behemoth also add on their black metal tones to the assault. The band's technicality sure shines on this one, for the guitar solo rips faces apart, the drumming is everywhere, and the way The Seed Ov I is structured is pure evil brilliance. With all of Evangelion's extreme tactics, Behemoth can and will still slay you slowly with the blasphemous and doomy album closer, Lucifer. What a brilliant way to end the album, and Lucifer truly leaves listeners hungry for more. Do give a lot of credit to Colin Richardson for his ace production, for the sound on Evangelion makes it a trve masterpiece.

Nergal and the authority he unleashes to the masses have always been incredible from both a studio and live perspective. His command continues to grow stronger, and with the growth of Evangelion, Nergal's signature attack will be known. The man makes sure Behemoth's message gets across, and he [Nergal] shines in songs such as Ov Fire And The Void, which recently the music video was banned from youtube, but thanks courtesy of Metal Blade Records, the uncensored version can still be spread to the masses. Evangelion is Nergal at his purest, nastiest, evilest, and best.

Through strong consistency, dedication, and force, I had very high expectations for Behemoth's latest, Evangelion, as I'm sure many others did, too. With already a high reputation in the metal scene and Evangelion being the band's ninth studio album, the release does not stop once with its epic, face ripping, and blasphemous attack! I know Evangelion is Behemoth at their best, and in the words of Nergal, I've never been happy with any of our albums before, which is kind of weird, but it's very hard for me to achieve any kind of fulfillment or satisfaction. This time, I have no problems putting this album in the car stereo and just banging my head and enjoying it as if I was a fan. And oh yes, fans from all over will be banging their heads to this one. From Behemoth's previous works, Evangelion is faster, heavier, and more sadistic. Even newcomers to the Behemoth realm will thoroughly enjoy this release, as I'm positive the recent Mayhem Fest 2009 they are on has exposed the band to the masses even more. Well, with the commercial success of Mayhem or not, Behemoth is still keeping it real, and as evil as possible.

mtllica
    Lucifer is definitely my favorite track, easily my top choice of Behemoth's albums
    EmancipatedSoul
    Probably some of the best work that I've heard from Behemoth. Got this album the day it came out, and am still listening to it almost every day.
    Misfit-FTB
    Mr. Skull wrote: Drift king77 wrote: I refuse to listen to something as satanic as this, a band that openly worships the devil, no matter how good the music sounds i wont be listening well good for you for actually stickin to your guns. screw you pussies for flaming this guy for his beliefs. anywho, i don't really listen to this band, and i listened to that song, ov fire and the void, and if that's an example of what's making everybody crazy about the 'technicality' you guys really need some different music.
    No one bashed him. They just said it's stupid to let your beliefs getting in the way of quality music. Just because you listen to something doesn't mean you believe in every word they say. Listen to muisic, for MUSIC! =/ Anyways, I love this album. Prolly one of my favs so far. I always look forward to a new Behemoth album.
    Lion_Slicer
    I think I'll try to be informative here regarding the "Satanism" of Behemoth... They are technically Satanic, but not in the way you might think. Look at the lyrics to Conquer All, for example. They seem to follow what is called LaVeyan Satanism (or something similar). This philosophy does NOT worship Satan or anything else in any way. The main tenet is that each person is their own god, meaning you should follow your own path without restricting yourself according to others' views. There's a quote on the Demigod album that reads "I have not yet seen a man who is not god already" and I know I've seen Aleister Crowley thrown around as well (who said "Do what thou wilt" so if thou wilt not listen to Behemoth... go ahead and don't lol). So basically, Behemoth's version of Satanism is just the purest form of individualism. Hopefully that clears it up a bit.
    imperialfury
    sorry to add to the whole "their not satanist thing" but Nergal said that he just finds the character of satan to be quite romantic/interesting in a couple of interviews, plus he's created a character in nergal from what ive seen "adam" is a pretty normal guy
    death_unknown
    If you like Behemoths older stuff, then you are gonna like Evangelion. Whether its faster or heavier or more technical doesnt matter because you know Behemoths capabilities and you should expect by now that those traits will be incorporated into any future efforts as well. Behemoth is amazing at what they do, no matter which album you are listening to. I think that sums it up for all Behemoth fans.
    TheChunkBlower
    this album sounds a bit commercialized IMO. demigod was badass as ****, cause they didnt rely on the songs' catchiness to make the album click. dont get me wrong , i love behemoth, but this album just sounds too anthemic for my taste.
    Quantonyne
    I didnt really think this one was faster, definatly heavier but The Apostasy was faster and more technical...either way its a great CD and another one in a string of excellent Behemoth releases.
    EmancipatedSoul
    Quantonyne wrote: I didn't really think this one was faster, definitely heavier but The Apostasy was faster and more technical...either way its a great CD and another one in a string of excellent Behemoth releases.
    It definitely wasn't faster. Less technical however; I wouldn't agree on. But yeah; another great piece of work.
    metalheadblues
    ingames wrote: ..Hell, is this album better than Demigod?!?!?! FUCK ME!!!
    it is?it IS?IT IS?? maybe yeah i think so see ov i behemoth delivers good year for metal
    SG Man Forever
    I still think Demigod is better. Although Daimonos, Ov Fire and the Void, and Lucifer are all good songs.
    Mr. Hand
    rofl this album is a piece of shit. what happened to the badassary of Zos Kia Cultus. They don't try any more because all their syupid fans will think they are dark and ev0l no matter what (OV KORPZE)
    TheChunkBlower
    GS LEAD 5
    The UG Team review stinks of fanboyism..... Good album though. Started me off into black metal....
    el-shredder
    Letting Religion get in the way of your musical taste must suck.
    CarbonDeath
    Killer album. Nergals screams and growls have gotten so much better through out the years, and this shows him at his best.
    grenade007
    they actually aren't satanic, they are just against organized religion and they point out it's flaws in the songs in an exaggerated fashion. And even if they were satanic it shouldn't keep you from listening to quality music, it's not going to all of a sudden make you want to worship satan.
    duncang
    Checked. I don't think a load of sweaty angry Behemoth fans are gonna convince Drift king. As for the album, none of the songs I've heard really grabbed my attention.
    grenade007
    ...and they don't worship the devil. Nergal has said in interviews that he believes in bits and pieces of many different religions without following just one, and he has studied many religions and is very knowledgeable and intelligent.
    travd92
    it's fantastic. sounds exactly like behemoth to me. nothing new, but everything was still fantastic.
    Mondo Generator
    MusicMan24 wrote: That video is FUCKED up
    Huh, UG lets you say that now? Or did you cheat the filter with all caps? lol Most satanic metal bands don't really have satanic members. They use satanism as a way to make their music more interesting, and you gotta admit, it's a real novelty. People want to go against the grain, break taboos, etc. Especially teenagers. Why do you think we have rock and roll?
    Tad_Eats_People
    I dont get the video
    Fallen angel + Behemoth = angel devoured by Behemoth And there's the pregnant chick walking through the underworld to Nergal where she offers that demented (awesome) baby. That's what I got from it anyway.
    mr_metal121
    dude its just music, the devils not gonna pop out of ur speakers and cut ur head off.....enyway this album i think kicks ass, really brutal sounding, dynamics, not all just 200bpm death fests, definetly a solid album, the drummer is still crazy also
    Mr. Skull
    vIsIbleNoIsE
    mr_metal121 wrote: dude its just music, the devils not gonna pop out of ur speakers and cut ur head off.....
    that actually happened to me once...i wholeheartedly support Drift king77, don't listen to this stuff lest you want your head cut off. he is clearly making a logical choice, what dumbass wants their head cut off anyway? kudos to you.
    Drift king77