Ezkaton review by Behemoth

• Released: Nov 11, 2008
Behemoth: Ezkaton

By nature, black metal is supposed to sound like it was recorded in a tin can, with minimal production values that complement its nihilistic, blasphemous nature. The music is as raw as a fresh wound and attempts to clean up the sound only leads to dilution of the overall aggression inherent in the genre. Ezkaton is Behemoth's seventh EP over the course of its blackened history and it retains a nasty, unpolished sound that fans come to demand from the band. The guitar assault of vocalist/guitarist Nergal and guitarist Seth cut through the din of the ominous Qadosh like a whip over flesh, while Nergal spits his vocals with the venomous snarl that's come to define both his and Behemoth's career over ten albums. The re-recording of Chant For Ezkaton 2000, originally featured on the 1999-released Satanica, is a sonic treat for the Behemoth legion, while the cover of The Ramones' I'm Not Jesus is a hoot, as the already-lightning quick band keeps up with three-chord firepower. Jama Pekel, the Master's Hammer cover, is so fast that Nergal and Seth may want to check their fingers to make sure they haven't worn them down to stumps. The live songs serve the purpose of satiating the diehards and collectors who are patiently waiting for the band's tenth full-length, which Metal Blade plans to release sometime next year. It wouldn't be a stretch to worry that the live versions would come across like a muddy mess when recorded, but the songs are much more listenable and put you smack dab in the center of the live fury that Behemoth rustles up.

At this point, it doesn't really matter what Nergal is saying. It's the way that he says it, spewing angry, agitated syllables about officially licensed black metal topics such as anti-Christianity. Nergal barks with such a vengeance that'll leave stop the listener dead in his or her tracks. The viciousness of his delivery lends that extra element of blood-chilling evil to Behemoth's already nefarious music. Even the bits of banter that precede the live tracks is filled with the bile, proving that Nergal is either quite the angry man or he is a master showman. It's probably a combo of both. The cackle he lets out about a minute into a is further evidence of the vocalist's demonicness.

Ezkaton encapsulates the entire Behemoth package. A new song, a re-done classic, left-of-center covers, live songs and a gorgeously eye-catching silver and black package. The new song indicates that the band is remaining true to the sound that it has been peddling what feels like forever. Qadosh doesn't turn the corner or go off in a direction we don't expect and with a band like Behemoth, that's certainly a good thing.

kurtshapedbox
    Wilomentena wrote: behemoth???? this is some of the most painfully bad music ive ever heard
    Thats really hard to imagine when you listen to Racer X and the Strokes... Idiocy aside..this was a decnt release for being an EP. But the new song doesn't thrill me nearly as much as anything else off of the last 3 albums...still good though. I guess only time will tell what the next release is really going to sound like.
    ClassicalDoom
    i want them to give an mp3 of the live "erection song" i saw them at mayhem festival it was brutal. so much better live
    Volkerball06
    the production dont matter, its how good the album is matters. which is fuking amazing. QADOSH!!!!!
    trendkill-
    nuncautnumquam wrote: i have problems with that first sentence. Not true across the voard whatsoever, and behemoth have not played black metal for a good long time, so how, pray tell is that even relevant?
    by nature they are lumped in to that group yes we no they are blackened death metal but is this shcool or UG? who cares
    double_bass25
    eh, nothing special imo. demigod is my favorite album by them, and i didn't think this compared well to that.
    PsYkO_kiLLa90
    i dont understand how people can even label them black metal, i mean at least not their more current records. satanic and thelema.6 definately have black metal elements but black metal they are not.
    Nucwin
    STOP TRYING TO SOUND SMART ENJOY THE FUCKING MUSIC!!! -peace (is for fags)
    guitarist41
    Glad I clicked on the link on the main page. 1st Black Metal band I think I've liked... I think the make-up and theatrics put me off...
    metalheadblues
    autopasy haha I think the album sounds like a continuation ov the apostasy lol the nex album should be great tho..each behemoth album has sum unique style to it bt this album just sounds like the apostasy haha ok daz enough..BLACKENED DEATH METAL
    Sheepdragon
    Listened through it a few times, and, well, it's Behemoth, which means that it's awesome. They never disappoint.
    nuncautnumquam
    Mind Kill
    ImagineTheThorn wrote: I never considered them "Black Metal" anyway, I always saw them as "Blackened Death Metal".
    Their early stuff is Black Metal, then they became a Blackened Death Metal band now they're kinda... only Death Metal.
    s-o-u-l-f-l-y
    s-o-u-l-f-l-y wrote: Im sorry but from what I've heard I prefur autopasy...
    Shit sorry I meant Apostasy!
    SkidGun
    I saw these guys at Graspop this year, they were Fucking great, I actually like both their old (black metal) stuff as their newer (blackened) death metal stuff, Hail to Behemoth
    stevo_92
    s-o-u-l-f-l-y wrote: s-o-u-l-f-l-y wrote: Im sorry but from what I've heard I prefur autopasy... Shit sorry I meant Apostasy!
    I think you meant prefer too
    TheAmenCorner89
    Black Metal? Come on these guys haven't played black metal for some time! Death Metal all the way these days. But yeah they're pretty awesome, loved their last 2 albums, better pick this EP up too
    Shinozoku
    If you think THIS is bad, you should listen to pop radio
    Astyan
    Behemoth f*cking owns and I'll definitely get this one. I don't care what genre they're described as, although Blackened Death Metal suits the band's music perfectly in my opinion, they are just brutal, and I love it.
    tmv91
    i havent listened to this band, nor will i probably do so (its not really my style), i just came to comment on this lame review. it was terrifically awful. it sounded like a bad horror novel haha.
    1337 haxorz
    deffinetly getting this, butt im sick ov people calling it blackened death metal. there just black metal. =)