The Apostasy review by Behemoth

• Released: Jul 17, 2007
Behemoth: The Apostasy

I have been a long time Behemoth fan, the first time I heard Demigod it was amazingly technical and filled with diversity. Three years after the release of Demigod, they released The Apostasy. The face ripping speed, vocals, and solos are the sound that has defined Behemoth since they started. It was interesting because the day I bought the album in August and went to see them at Ozzfest 07 soon after. It was an amazing experience in itself to get the album, listen to it, and then hear the songs you love performed live. The thing I love about The Apostasy is the vocal demonic chorus that is the backing vocal talent that supports Nergal when he screams. Apart from being a really good band, they played at Ozzfest, which I think turned the original fans away. Ozzfest is known for heavy metal and death metal, and Behemoth is black metal, and some of the fans didn't appreciate it. It doesn't matter to me, it's still a venue.

The lyrics are what you would normally expect from Behemoth. Slaying the gods, torment, and Poland. Their lyrics are a diverse look at the black metal world. The music makes the band, the lyrics, when you read them can add so much more though. If you are a long time fan of Behemoth, you will come to appreciate them more for their hate Christians lyrics. As for singer skills, Nergal (vocals, guitar) took a giant step in terms of defining his voice. Demigod sounded amazing, but the vocals were lacking, it sounded like he was straining to scream, but in The Apostasy, Nergal defined his vocal talents.

The Apostasy compares to Blood Red Throne, Vital Remains, and Nile very closely. The most impressive songs I have noticed were; Slaying the Prophets ov Isa, Inner Sanctum, and Libertheme. All of those songs are brutal and technical, Inferno (drums) had a field day with this album. I think it has been his title career album. I love everything about it, but the only turn off was a somewhat poor recording quality. If it were stolen (which it was) I would buy it again.

Slaytanic1993
    I agree with the first reviewer that Sventevith is their best album (followed closely by Zos Kia Cultus), but this album is very good. Whereas other death metal bands are releasing horrific albums (*coughScarsoftheCrucifixcough*) Behemoth is still releasing quality albums. They would be even more respecte in my eyes if they were still Black Metal, but their death metal work is a force to be reckoned with.
    hitek008
    behemoth...just the name kicks my ass...lol...i saw them at ozzfest and man they controlled the crowd by their tornado headbangs...no joke.
    Tumble-weed
    I was kinda disappointed with this album. Their best album imo is Zos Kia Cultus. This one was pretty generic and repetetive.