Thelema.6 Review

Behemoth: Thelema.6
Released: 2000
Genre: Blackened death metal
Label: Avantgarde Music
Behemoth released what has come to be the sound of purest evil.
 7.7
 8.3
 7.1
review (1) 12 comments vote for this album:
Thelema.6 Reviewed by: Cheeseman Jay, on july 13, 2010

Sound: In 2001, Behemoth released what has come to be the sound of purest evil. Interested? You should be. Every album Behemoth has ever done has sounded different which is good, in my opinion, because it means that you can listen to each album almost as a separate band. This album is certainly a very interesting one. It kicks off with the chilling line "We would like to see most of the human race killed off because it is unworthy, it is unworthy of the gift of life." This is followed by the instruments kicking in and already you are spellbound. That really says something about the band, the fact that thye can captivate you after a few seconds of audio. This song is called Antichristian Phenomenon and there certainly is a sense of there being an anti-religious theme on this album. Track 6 (my personal favourite) is called Christians To The Lions. If you are new to Behemoth, don't lump them in a group with Deicide just yet. Deicide are much more in your face about the whole 'we-hate-religion' thing that they got goin' on. Behemoth are more intelligent and cryptic in their meaning and that gives them a depth that plenty of modern Death Metal bands lack. Each song is noticeably different which is very welcome for a Death Metal album. Overall, if you buy this, you will not be dissapointed. // 8

Lyrics: Nergal is a great frontman. He ranks among my favorite frontmen of all time because he stays fresh. I don't mean like vegetables, I mean every single album that Behemoth put out, Nergal sounds ever so slightly different. This album is no exception to that trend. Put a Thelema.6 song next to an Apostasy song, for example, and you can clearly hear the difference. I'm going to give Nergal a 9. Now for the lyrics. They're not always perfectly clear but I'll give you a little taste of Christians To The Lions: behold bastard son I am the evil one no glory to be reached no more thy slavery the passion I besieged spawn terror smash thy will ye pale dominion fades away my will dominates I think that says it all really. // 8

Overall Impression: If you, like me, love Behemoth, this album will be a welcome adition to your catalogue. If you, like me, love Death Metal, this album will be a welcome adition to your catalogue. Unless you fall into those two brackets, you are unlikely to enjoy this. However, if you do fall into one of those two brackets (or both), I urge you to buy this album. It isn't their best album but it is excellent. Listen to either Antichristian Phenomenon or Christians To The Lions and you'll see what I mean. Enjoy. // 9

Comments