Belie My Burial EP Review

8.7
 9.5
review (1) 2 comments vote for this album:
Belie My Burial EP Reviewed by: Phil_Bass_Boy, on may 07, 2009

Sound: If I had to describe BMB's sound in a very rough way, I'd say they mix good old fashioned metalcore progression with an overhanging angry and deathy tone. This Pittsburgh band previously released some (unpromising) demos, and eventually a 2008 Demo titled Persephone, which had 3 highly impressive songs on it. The overall audible theme of this EP is very angry, melancholically melodic, complex and dark. Their new vocalist has a somewhat interesting style of screaming, most notably using a lot of midrange screams with lower growls creating a very disembodied presence. Insane drumming (plenty double-bass and cymbal work, epic blast beats), though slightly too corrected and monogamous for my taste, but works in favor of the bands overall sound. Guitarwork is excellent, a somewhat refreshing style of playing, a lot of quality riffs and and transitions. Oh, and of course, skull-shattering 808 blasts and breakdowns. // 9

Lyrics: Their vocalist/lyricist seems to have his worldview figured out, but not everyone buys into the Zeitgeist stuff, although this is not the predominant theme of the album, it seems to pop up solely in the ending track 'Adendum', which quotes a long piece of speech from the movie. Straight up lyrical style would be up-front, questioning, and definitely angry. As far as I know, there isn't any cussing in this album, as opposed to previous releases (Frontman change). It is interesting how the vocal tracks mesh with the sound of the band in general, while at the same time it catches your attention so abruptly because of it's unique sound. Great vocalist, he brought a new sound to the table. Took me a while to really get into, but now I love it. // 8

Overall Impression: Hands down this is a record worth listening to. It is new, unheard of, and shows this young bands talent, and that not all sceney-weenie looking bands have nothing to show. The tracks are chronically ordered to induce your brain with brutality*. It's a heavy-as-balls album, it doesn't really let up at all throughout the entire album. Their style is very unique and somewhat restricted, but surprisingly never repetitive or boring. Standout tracks are, well, all of them to be honest with you. Well thought through writing, and accurate execution by this fine band, coming together in a tight, fresh self-titled EP. Hope to hear more of these guys soon. // 9

Comments