Blood Magick Necromance review by Belphegor

• Released: Jan 14, 2011
  • Reviewer's score: 6.3 Neat
Belphegor: Blood Magick Necromance

Belphegor is a black/death metal band from Austria. This is their 9th full length and they continue with their melodic black metal combined with elements of death metal. Blood Magick Necromance has much higher quality production and seems much more polished than previous albums. Blast beats with tremolo picking remains fluent with Belphegor, however this albums seems to have nothing new for Belphegor, sticking to their same style and formula.

The lyrics continue revolving around themes such as satanism, and perversion. The song "Impaled Upon the tongue of Sathan" is a fine example of their satanic lyrics: "The confessional is your casket, I blind you in Winged flesh mutilation, fukk the church Broken one by one, your angelic sworn oath". The vocals range from gutturals to higher rasps and compliment the music well. Hel "Helmuth" Lennart's vocals continue to remain powerfull rasps and gutturals which contribute well to the music.

I feel that this album isn't as great as Belphegor's previous effort "Warpulgis Rites" however it does have it's moments. "Blood Magick Necromance" is much more polished and has higher production values than previous albums making it lose the rawness of previous albums. Some good songs off the album include "Impaled Upon the tongue of Sathan" and "Sado Messiah". The album remains to have the standard Belphegor formula but has clearer production and bring nothing new to the table. If I would loose this album, I would not buy it again because it is a rather disappointing release from Belphegor.

rob904
    I've always felt that Belphegor fits into that group of black metal bands that try so hard to be brutal that it ends up being sadly funny
    Raystein
    I have no idea why most black metal bands have issues with their grammar.
    Deified
    Probably because a lot of them don't have English as a first language.
    Raystein
    Deified wrote: Raystein wrote: I have no idea why most black metal bands have issues with their grammar.Probably because a lot of them don't have English as a first language.
    Good point
    col50
    Actually belphegor uses words like fukk to get past the strict censors in and a portion of their lyrics are in Austrian
    barden1069
    CapnKickass wrote: Black Metal Chili Peppers..
    Haha that's what I thought when I saw this.
    MrZEDO
    col50
    MrZEDO wrote: I think maybe you should work on your compositional skills before you write any more reviews. You pretty much just said a few things over and over.
    mydian wrote: Lame review.. but good CD.
    Well why don't both of you write a review for it then?
    BurningFlesh
    Deified wrote: Raystein wrote: I have no idea why most black metal bands have issues with their grammar. Probably because a lot of them don't have English as a first language.
    Probably they just don't give a fukk ! for sure they're not speaking english at first (me too). Its kind of art to switch the grammar of some words that everybody knows how to spell 'em anyways