Sonic Scapes & Weedy Grooves Review

Released: Apr 20, 2011
Genre: Stoner Rock, Doom Metal
review (1) user comments vote for this album:
Sonic Scapes & Weedy Grooves Reviewed by: crazymetalheadn, on august 03, 2011

Sound: So a week ago I'm going through some Doom and Stoner Metal forums and I stumble onto this band that is very new, and apparently not too many people have heard of them. An instrumental band, Belzebong. Now I'm a huge fan of Doom and Stoner Metal and my personal favorite style played in those genres are exactly like Belzebong plays. Really heavy riff work, some nice fills thrown in here and there. And most importantly the fuzzed up guitars. The album contains 4 songs and reaches nearly 30 minutes. Track 1, "Bong Thrower" comes to 8:18. Track 2, also the shortest song, "Names Of The Devil", clocks in a 04:41. "Witchrider" is the second shortest song at 5:21. "Acid Funeral" The last and longest song on the album starts in with what seems to be a warning against using drugs audio sample from those old scare tactic films they used to produce. "Acid Funeral" produces an ominous vibe and keeps that going throughout the song. // 10

Lyrics: The band is purely in instrumental band. I don't know if they will release a second album, if they will have a singer or not. If they do release a second album I hope they stick without a singer and keep pumping out killer heavy riffs. I don't mind harsh vocals but with slower music like Belzebong the harsh vocals and sometimes overshadow the guitar work, make it less audible by just adding more noise. // 10

Overall Impression: You can stream the album or you can buy it and get a download here. Definitely one to pick up for only $5. As far as I can tell Sonic Scapes & Weedy Grooves is the only album by Belzebong besides a supposed hard to come by demo. So I'm soaking in the greatness of the 4 tracks they have available. // 10

Comments