Lifeline Review

Ben Harper: Lifeline
Release Date: Aug 28, 2007
Label: Virgin Records
Genres: Country-Soul, Adult Alternative Pop/Rock, Folk-Rock, Urban Folk
This is a very informal-sounding record, and one that feels comfortable in showing its unvarnished side, its seams.
 9.3
 9.5
review (1) 1 comment vote for this album:
Lifeline Reviewed by: nextcrusader, on october 15, 2007

Sound: Is it just me or does Ben Harper sound more and more like cat Stevens? This album blew me away. There are so many good songs on this album that I have to say it's perfect for a relaxsation CD. Even though all the songs are really good, there are some that really stick out. Younger Then Today - played on the Piano and leaves you remenising of your past, it's just one of those songs that you could see surviving the test of time and if he ever made a greatest hits this would be one of the songs fetured on the album. Heart Of Matters - sounds like an old '50s soft rock. It's definitly one of those songs where it graduitly builds up with Ben Harper voice, kinda like somthing you may here at church. Having Wings - this Song reminds me of something Cat Steven would have sang which is great! Needed You Tonight - I'm running out of things to say, lets just say it's an energy song that's brilliantly played and sung. Most artist record their music set at different times, as in, the guitar player records first, then the bassits, followed by the drummer and the vocals are layed on last. Not Ben Harper, and his band the Innocent criminals. This was all recorded at the same time. Just goes to show you they got there shit down! // 9

Lyrics: He makes you want to listen to everything he has to say. Spitting metaphors left and right. It's really nice and refreshing to here Harmony music. it's full of positivity. If your ever feeling down, this is the kinda of music that will help you through it. It's sad when an artist that's been around for years starts writing crap for lyrics cause they got nothing left to say (ex, Chris Cornell, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Madonna), this is not the case with Ben Harper. he's still got it after more then 10 years of recording. The lyrics and the music just flow together perfectly and never really feel forced. // 9

Overall Impression: It Seems that Ben and Jack Johnson are the best for their genra. Both have (in my opinion) never really written a bad song. I stoped listening to the radio for about 3 years now. There is no way you'll hear this being played on any station cause it's not commercial. it's college people music, kinda like what adam sandler was doing in the '90s, now we have Ben harper and Jack Johnson. Well if your really into this kind of music I recomend you try out Cat Stevens before he went muslim. // 9

Comments