Ex-Sensitive review by Ben Jelen

• Released: Jul 17, 2007
  • Users' score: 1 (1 vote)
Ben Jelen: Ex-Sensitive

Ben Jelen is one of my favorite new artists out there. According to Jelen's website, Ex-sensitive is about Jelen's love for planet earth. Which seems to make sense as almost every song has a very upbeat tone. A warning for anyone interested, this album is very poppy. I'm not usually a fan of pop-style music, but this is just great. Don't think of Backstreet Boys, think of Ben Jelen. The opening starts with a sitar slowly bringing you into the music. And it only seems to get better from there. The only problem is that it didn't seem that the songs flowed together all that well. Meaning that the album is more of a container for the music and not part of the musical experience itself. In other words, listening to a single track without the rest of the album is about the same as listening to it while going in order with the album. For instrumentation this album uses a lot of classic rock instruments (i.e. electric guitars, basses, drums) but also adds in piano, violin, acoustic guitar and other instruments you will notice through the songs.

Upbeat. Skilled. Deep. All these words describe the lyrics. They fit perfectly with the music and there is meaning to the words. And thank god that the lyrics are not a constant drone of "I love everyone" instead it studies all the subjects of humanity, making you think quite a bit while listening. Not to mention Jelen has a very good voice. Not much more to say, the vocals are perfect.

My personal favorite song from the album is Mr. Philosopher. But all the songs have something to enjoy in them. The album is very upbeat and poppy but not so much that it makes you sick. Like I said the only thing I don't like about the album is that it is an album full of singles and not an album. But otherwise this is a great piece of work, I suggest it to anyone who's a fan of alternative rock, pop, or really anyone. It is really hard not to like this music.