Dystopia review by Beneath the Massacre

• Released: Oct 28, 2008
Beneath the Massacre: Dystopia

The third installment in Beneath the Massacre's Arsenal "Dystopia" has a surgeon's precision, a chaotic whirlwind of taps, warp speed drumming, amazing distorted bass bombs and the deep gutteral growl to sew this masterpiece together to form a f--king beast of musical offering from this native Canadian group. If one word could describe this band, both on their albums and live it would be, Breathtaking. These guys have the musical chops and the persistence to break through even the most roughest terrain in metal that seems yet, unclaimed. Guitarist Chris Bradley, seems to have taken the sound that, by now, Beneath the Massacre should be well known; and taken it even further. The tightness of the drums, Justin Rousselle, collectively flowing with the crushing bass lines of Dennis Bradley.

The lyrics are a dark and twisted picture of our world as it is now. As always the lyrics belted out, with gnashing teeth by frontman Elliot Desgagnes, has always lead the listener to delve deeper into their minds and think a little more about what's being put across. It's not the usual dribble of a lot of metal bands these days. The lyrics are detailed, intricate, and obviously a bit personal. It's a breath of fresh air for the fans craving more than a few riffs and an all too familiar breakdown scheme with the run of the mill rebellion lyrics.

If you have not seen these guys live, what the hell is wrong with you? They will absolutely blow you away. As a friend of the band I felt that I had to write this review, to get the word out there. Pick up a copy of this album, see their shows, buy their merch. Help them and many bands like them out with money, these guys need it and deserve it. No matter how you feel about this music, it's more than the screams and the distorted guitars and double bass. It's about reaching into your soul, provoking thought, and releasing your aggression. Go out and get a copy of this album, you will not be sorry!

synths
    this cd is ****ing amazing! saw them live last year and pretty much shit my pants. yea buy this album or your missing out on some good shit!
    Dante53
    This and Planetary Duality - The Faceless are EXTREMELY good second full-length albums. Dystopia wins in my mind though, but only slightly. Good review. I've been with BTM since Evidence of Inequity, and they re-recorded the EP closer, Nevermore for this album. Check them out! - Adam
    travislausch
    I ALMOST saw them live the other night. I was actually at the show, watched most of the other bands, but because I take the bus to a place about 60km from there, and they were on after 10:30 PM, I couldn't stick around for them ;_;. But I did buy this CD and their debut EP.
    GodofCheesecake
    Wow, you're cool... Anyway, do all the songs sound the same on this album like on MOD?
    travislausch
    GodofCheesecake wrote: Anyway, do all the songs sound the same on this album like on MOD?
    Pretty much, yeah.
    Moralless
    travislausch
    Moralless wrote: This CD kills The bassist is 100 times more original and technical than most out there Every member of this band is amazingly pro at their instrument and so dead on, it's insane
    If they added more variety to their sound (like maybe a different approach to the vocals now and then or some more varied guitar riffs), they'd be serious contenders for the best new Canadian band out there.