King Kong On Crack Ep review by Berserkerfox

• Users' score: 10 (1 vote)
Berserkerfox: King Kong On Crack Ep

So, BerserkerfoX - a 5-piece band from Australia. To be perfectly honest, when I first saw these guys I never thought they'd be a serious competition on the underground scene... Their image is somehow different, simple and honest. But did I get one hell of a surprise once I threw in the CD! It's like they transform into some sort of metal maniacs once they touch their instruments - the music is simply stunning. Ok, so - the sound can be best described as some sort of Melodic Death Metal, played in their own unique way. I'd even dare say there's a touch of hardcore in here somewhere. Kind of reminds me of Arsis, but not in terms of technical proficiency, but rather that "mischievous" touch to it. And the sound is pretty rich; no "special effects", but full of guitar harmonies and various leads. To my surprise, this EP is completely home produced... That's what gave me a wow after listening to it. These boys are really trying hard to break through, and you gotta hand it to them - they're doing a pretty good job too...

The lyrics are where they're supposed to be, the subject is what most Melodeath bands do - criticism. I've found no flaws with the lyrics whatsoever, they completely fit in with the music - but I'd object a little to the vocals... They lack the diversity they should have to make the overall impression a tad more interesting. The growl is very simple, but in my personal opinion - the singer should work a little bit on finding other techniques to play with. Some low growls and screams here and there wouldn't hurt, and would add up to the atmosphere a lot. This doesn't mean the vocals are bad, in fact they're pretty good - I'd just love to spice them up a little as they've got a whole lot of potential. Sometimes they actually remind me of Jeff Walker's vocals (Carcass) - which is a very good thing. So, the vocals on this EP deserve a 7 for now. Hopefully, the guys will take this into consideration and make their future work a blast to the metal scene.

All in all, for a promo - this is great work. Makes me look forward to the actual album, because from what I heard here - it should sound great. My favorite track off this EP would probably be "Self Professed Kings", not a hard choice considering there are only three tracks here... I honestly think these boys have a bright future ahead, and my advice to anyone willing to support the metal underground - get the EP. It's well worth it.