The Fight Within Review

Better Left Unsaid: The Fight Within
Released: Jul 22, 2008
Genre: Rock
Label: Stillborn
The sound of this album is strongly routed in the formula of melodic metalcore.
 6.5
 6.7
 6.3
review (1) 3 comments vote for this album:
The Fight Within Reviewed by: F8iscruel, on august 12, 2009

Sound: The sound of this album is strongly routed in the formula of melodic metalcore. The album is stuck so firmly in the formula of a melodic metalcore album that in the song structure department is where the album falls down for me personally, aside from the opening instrumental which has become quite common within melodic metalcore almost every song opens with a riff, which then goes to the verse, then to the chorus, back into a verse, one more chorus and then a breakdown, and possible interludes and transitions between each section when they are first introduced makes each song very predictable. While listening to the album I realized that their guitarists have skills, but unfortunatly they rarely get a chance to display it. For example the song "Far to Long" guitarists use sweep picking very well but their songs don't feature a good display of their skills, however the lack of them showing off does not take away from the songs in any way, it allows the songs to be short sweet and to the point. The proof that they have the ability to write good solos are laid throughout the album though, on the songs "Marla" there is a short solo as soon as the song finishes and there is a wah heavy solo in "Dedicated" and one last noteworth solo is on "No Regret". It is overall a good album, however the band doesn't bring anything new to the table, but listening to the album you can't deny that they wrote a solid, albeit simplistic, melodic metalcore album. // 7

Lyrics: Lyrically Speaking this album is not much, the lyrics are usually hollow, see through, and the lead singer usually repeat the song title 50 or so times through out the course of the song (such as "testify"). As with the sound, the lead singer follows the formula for a melodic metalcore album almost to a tee. Growling in the verse, clean sung chorus, and more growiling in almost all the breakdowns on the album. The one time that the lead singer does not utilize growling in the breakdown is during the song "Far Too Long" where he actually just sings. While lyrically the songs are very shallow the saving grace is the skill of the lead singer. His metalcore screaming and clean vocals are quite impressive. He sometimes reminded me of howard jones of Killswitch Engage, as his singing seemed very refined and controlled. // 6

Overall Impression: This album is a strong melodic metalcore album, as I have stated, but I believe this band could be much more, they have the skill there to introduce more interesting song structure, but they just kept to the simple melodic metalcore formula. When I first heard them I was reminded of All That Remains, Killswitch Engage, and Triviums early work, which is why I bought the album. I got into this band after hearing "Testify", but after owning the whole album, I would have to say their best song by far is the title track "The Fight Within" which is probably the best song the band has at this point. This album shows that this band has potential, hopefully on their next album they will get flush out their skills more, instead of sticking to a tried and true method, and branch out and experiment, I believe they will find a sound all their own, beacause as they are now they sound like every other melodic metalcore album. // 7

Comments