Alaska review by Between the Buried and Me

• Released: Sep 6, 2005
Between the Buried and Me: Alaska

In a new time when metalcore is becoming as mundane as pop music, Between the Buried and Me present something very different on Alaska. Not only are they a lot more technically proficient than many of the At The Gates rip-off bands today, but they throw in many original touches, even as far as barbershop quartet style vocal harmonizing in "All Bodies." If you're sick of Atreyu and bands that sound like it, this one might just bring you back to metalcore.

I was impressed with the vocalist's ability to sing and scream. He has a pretty decent singing voice that a lot of the current harder bands try to do, but fail at. As for lyrics, the lyrics are the usual angry stuff, but also twistedly funny at times. Not bad.

I would compare this to Unearth being composed by Frank Zappa. That might be going too far. Basically this is weird stuff, and it hit me in such a good way. It brought me back from a point in which I was so sick and tired of every eyeliner donning, girl pants wearing "hardcore" band out there. These guys are original and brilliant. If you want a comparison to their last CD, "The Silent Circus," Alaska basically destroys that album. There's no comparison.

maxemo
    you are totaly right its perfect and i would spend any amount of money in "alaska", it shocks me how good they are and i can really understand what they are taking about in their lyrics. i just saw them in concert in aneheim,house of blues,kicked ass of course, they are amazingly talented.