Alaska review by Between the Buried and Me

• Released: Sep 6, 2005
Between the Buried and Me: Alaska

Between The Buried and me is absolutely amazing. The first track I heard by them was "Selkies: The Endless Obsession" and it blew me away. The thing that I love about their sound is the ability to start off playing something soft and melodic, then maybe a jazzy sort of break, and then diving right into a few minutes of death metal. The two guitarists in the band are both amazing, on-the-spot, and they compliment each other well. The sweep picking runs at the beginning of "Alaska" and at the end of "Selkies" are awesome. In the vocal department, Tommy Rogers' is one to look at. With vocal ranges from a black metal/metalcore scream to a death metal type growl, to a soft singing voice, and occasionally, a falsetto voice (Around 6 and a half minutes of "All Bodies"). Also, you can hear the bass on this album. That's definetly a plus, basses aren't really accentuated anymore in the metalcore scene I guess, people nowadays seem to accentuate the guitars, vocals and drums most. That was for a fact what they were going for too, because in a Uranium metal interview with Tommy Rogers, he complimented the band's producer/mixer on being able to let the listener hear "every single detail we put into the music."

I haven't really dissected the lyrics, but I remember reading an interview where Tommy talked about his writings. Basically, he likes to write about issues that no one's covered yet. That's about the depth of it. Sorry, I don't have much more to say. The singing skills are great though, and mixed well, so I give it an 8.

This album is amazing. In quoting Brian from the Black Dahlia Murder (on www.metalinjection.net, go watch it), their music makes me "feel emotions." Even though it was an obvious joke, it's true. In "Selkies" alone, you'll feel uprising, sheer awe, anger, energy, and much more. Between The Buried And Me are for the arty indie rockers to the death metal purists, and anyone else who's not into rap I guess. If this were lost, I would purchase it again in a heartbeat.

becker009
    silent circus is more raw, and some people like that kinda thing. but alaska definitely displays their talent a lot more. paul waggonner is one of the best guitarists out there today
    ph3n0m
    BTBAM is NOT death metal. To me, at least. They're more metalcore/hardcore-ish. Why do people call BTBAM death metal? Just because of some of the death metal vocals?
    XQuickDeathX
    Nah, I think they refer to them as Death Metal just because the obvious comparisons in Metalcore don't do them enough justice, because they are far more creative.
    Craigo
    I wouldn't even call Silent Circus death metal. But these guys are ****ing amazing - Alaska is incredible. Great to see it on the front page!
    No Seatbelt
    I didn't like this album much. However, "Selkies" has one of the best solos I've ever heard.
    sheratonplyr369
    My friend has been showing me some of the stuff of this album and I have to say, even if you don't like the death metal screaming and stuff this guitarist makes listening through it all worth while.