Alaska review by Between the Buried and Me

• Released: Sep 6, 2005
Between the Buried and Me: Alaska

Each member of Between The Buried And Me is a musical veteran and is extremely talented at what they do. Paul is a great soloist and is superb at sweep picking, Dusty can melt your face with his powerful riffs, Blake has innovative rhythms and fills with his blazing double-bass, Dan is in his own field for just keeping up with Paul and Dusty, and last but certainly not the least, Tommy can manipulate his voice quite nicely to fit the certain moods of the song. These talented musicians carry their own unique sound, ranging from heavy metal to jazz to latin.

As I've mentioned before, Tommy is quite good at altering his voice from deep growls to soothing sighs within the same song. The lyrics that he has created touches upon many controversial topics that others would rather have been left unsaid. The lyrics compliance with the music works well, when the lyrics is angry, so is the music, when the lyrics is gentle, the music follows suit.

This album certainly compares to other artists, and as a matter of fact, it blows most of them of the water. The most impressive songs would most likely be All Bodies, Alaska, and Selkies: The Endless Obsession, they incorporate sick techniques such as sweep picking and incorporate it so well into the song. I love the unique sound that they alone have, and I really can't complain about anything. If it were stolen/lost I would buy it again in a heartbeat.

angels side
    No Seatbelt wrote: I didn't like this album much. However, "Selkies" has one of the best solos I've ever heard.
    ph3n0m wrote: oh no not another argument about what genre the band is. And i agree selkies has one of the best solos i have heard. BTBAM is NOT death metal. To me, at least. They're more metalcore/hardcore-ish. Why do people call BTBAM death metal? Just because of some of the death metal vocals?
    kennmi
    carrotcake wrote: death metal, black metal, progressive metal... what's wrong with regular ol' "metal?"
    nothing wrong with regular old metal, but you wouldnt say black sabbath is the same style of metal as opeth or dragonforce or killswitch engage, would you? it just gives people a bit of an idea whether a band is similar to ones they already like. it can get pretty crazy sometimes with all the names, but i agree with most people, you shouldnt hate something just because its in a genre of music you dont usually like. if its good, listen to it!
    sexclamation
    aideath27 : heres what happened with this cd: 1. I downloaded it off of uTorrent, big mistake, while playing call of duty i played this cd in the whole thing but didnt really listen 2. got off my lazy ass went across the street to best buy and bought the cd. came home sat down with some food and listened to it. 3. changed my pants after crapping myself 4. took a shower to get the stink off my legs 5. grabbed my guitar and attempted (thats the key word here) to learn alaska and selkies the endless obsession (which might i add is the greatest single song ever written. i wake up everyday and listen to it.) while failing horribly 6. after 8 months learn the whole cd 7. buy colors from best buy 8. the rest is history
    LMFAO extremely well said. For a second there I thought you were describing my own reaction to this cd. I shat myself, blacked out, and woke up to brown nutty walls lol. Anyways Paul Waggoner is my favorite guitarist of all time because he is probably one of the most creative people to have lived. He really polished his shit on Colors too. I'd say White Walls is my favorite song on Colors, along with every song
    xDeathxMetalx
    Ok, BTBAM Is Flawless Honestly. In Everyway They Are Just Amazing. And Yes They Are Death Metal. Not Full Death Metal But They Do Have Death Metal Influence. They Go Over A Million Genres And Styles Which Is What Makes Them So Versatile. They Have Everything From Death And Progressive Metal To Jazz And Lounge(Laser Speed). They Even Have Some Blues Considering Some Of The Riffs In Selkies. Either Way, Amazing All Around 10/10! and to aideath27. I Second, Win!
    justlaxin73
    aideath27 wrote: heres what happened with this cd: 1. I downloaded it off of uTorrent, big mistake, while playing call of duty i played this cd in the whole thing but didnt really listen 2. got off my lazy ass went across the street to best buy and bought the cd. came home sat down with some food and listened to it. 3. changed my pants after crapping myself 4. took a shower to get the stink off my legs 5. grabbed my guitar and attempted (thats the key word here) to learn alaska and selkies the endless obsession (which might i add is the greatest single song ever written. i wake up everyday and listen to it.) while failing horribly 6. after 8 months learn the whole cd 7. buy colors from best buy 8. the rest is history
    win
    Negativeone666
    bottom line... one of the greatest albums EVER! Paul Waggoner is one of the great guitarists of the age. I also give BTBAM alot of credit because they brought original music to the table, which is an idea long forgotten in the music industry. BTW, to answer bighugejake's question. Selkies are legendary animals known for being half human, half seal.
    x0rsist
    this cd baused me terminal damage in my left ear, wouldnt have had it from any other band
    aideath27
    Tumble-weed
    Incredible album. I'm still not sure if I like Colors more...My favorite songs have to be The Primer, Selkies, Alaska and All Bodies
    GodofCheesecake
    Who the hell cares what genre a band is? If you like their music, listen to them. If you don't, then don't. It's that simple. If I had to pick a genre for BTBAM, it'd be awesome.
    thrash3x6master
    ph3n0m wrote: BTBAM is NOT death metal. To me, at least. They're more metalcore/hardcore-ish. Why do people call BTBAM death metal? Just because of some of the death metal vocals?
    i agree.. BTBAM's lyrics are written about life situations. stuff like that. the only lyrics that talk about death really is coulrophobia from the silent circus. btw, selkies are a type of alaskan indian. alot of the songs are titled with things to do with alaska. why, i have no idea, but a medicine wheel is a dream catcher. also, for people who say that they have no structure in writing. when writing music in non-standard timings, they call it math metal. at least thats what the brothas in my hood call it.
    bassboy92
    they may not be death metal but there deffinatly not hardcore or metalcore how many metalcore bands have blast beats and sweeps how bout this there just good