Colors review by Between the Buried and Me

• Released: Sep 18, 2007
Between the Buried and Me: Colors

Between the Buried and Me have always interested me in ways few bands today (especially hardcore bands) have. They blend styles like hardcore, metal, jazz, and prog to create a sound all their own. Colors, by far, showcases BTBAM sound and talent like none of their previous work. I would describe Colors as one large song that can take the listener through a musical journey. Many might not like the time it takes to get through some of the songs (Ants of the Sky is 13:10 and White Walls is 14:13) but every song is worth the wait. Between the Buried and Me don't dissapoint on Colors as far as musicianship and technique are concerned. The guitar parts are a bit more understated than in Alaska which makes the band's talent as a whole shine through. They're a lot more varied parts as well, having a great and unique mixture of shredding passages, crushing riffs, beautiful cleans, and powerful solos. I'm no bass expert but the bass on this album is pretty strong. The drums is also very good without being to overshadowing. The keyboards are great as well. Though they are never really a focus in most of the songs but they add a lot to BTBAM unique sound. The production is top notch and doesn't take away from the music. There are many parts in this album that will turn heads for most people new to BTBAM, like the "lalala" part in "Sun of Nothing" or the barfight at the end of "Ants of the Sky". Overall this is the most balanced BTBAM album in terms of style and sound.

Tommy Rogers does a good job with the lyrics and they definetly go hand in hand with the music. I won't get specific with the lyrics but they can really make you think and sometimes you might not know what Tommy is talking about right away. As far as vocals are concerned it as varied as is everything else on the album. Some might be turned off by Tommy's agressive vocals all over Colors his melodic singing is something that greatly contributes to this albums greatness. In a world where screaming and singing are constantly beside each other, Tommy knows how to incorporate both (as well as many other vocal styles) without it becoming stale or formulated.

Overall this is the best album I've heard all year. It's really hard to compare with other bands because of BTBAM's unique sound and style but after my first listen I knew that Colors was something special. Definetly BTBAM at their best. I can't say I hate a single thing about Colors. Also, I can't say that any single track is better than the others because this is album is much more enjoyable as a whole. Colors is heavy, melodic, and epic. If it were stolen I would gladly purchase it again knowing that the theif would about to experience the greatness that is Colors. Buying Colors was the best decision I've made all year!