Colors review by Between the Buried and Me

• Released: Sep 18, 2007
Between the Buried and Me: Colors

When I first heard this CD it just blew me away! Between the Buried and Me has been my favorite band for some time now, and "Colors" made me like them a whole lot more! Everything about this band sounds great; the riffs, breakdowns, instrumentals, every second of this album. It scares me how great these five musicians are. Between the Buried and Me put so many genres of music into this album: proggresive, metal, jazz, rock, bluegrass, you name it! I also love the cover and theme of it. Right when I saw it all I thought about was Pink Floyd. It even has graphics from "The Silent Circus" on the lyric booklet. Another thing that stood out was that it was one continuous song throughout the whole album. Every song had something to do with the next. Between the Buried and Me definitly went all out on this album, what a masterpiece.

As always Tommy's lyrics were intense and soft all throughout "Colors". I love how Tommy has really dedicated lyrics in some of the songs. For example, in Foam Born (b) The Decade Of Statues he says, "It's a must these days, for the colors are fading." That part really stood out to me and it really compliments the album. There's also mentionings from "The Silent Circus" again in "White Walls". He says, "they chose Camilla and we stood by her the entire time." "Camilla Rhodes" was actually in a movie that Tommy mentions in "The Silent Circus". And it amazes me how Tommy thinks of these spetacular lyrics. All and all, Tommy Rogers and his throat never seice to amaze me.

This album is a pure masterpiece and Paul Waggoner, Tommy Rogers, Dan Briggs, Blake Richardson, and Dusty Waring are the five wonderful mucisians to make it. "Colors" is hands down their best album by far, no questions about it. I can't really pick a favorite song, so I'll just explain my feelings for each song... Foam Born a: The Backtrack, what an amazing intro, and talk about a synth solo, this is a great opener. Foam Born (b) The Decade Of Statues, wow, what a brilliant compliment to the first song, this song is great all around and has a wonderful breakdown. Informal Gluttony; this song probably has the best drum, bass, and guitar playing all in one intro! This is a sweet tune. Sun Of Nothing; the 4 second drum intro kills! Then it's abrubtly interupted by guitars. The strange thing about this song is the random elmo break, it goes from fast metalcore to happy elmo? Now how could you not enjoy that. Ants Of The Sky; what a song! It's brutal throughout the whole song exlude the jazz solo and the bluegrass breakdown. Prequel To The Sequel; what an amazing intro, scale after scale is thrown into it, definitly a favorite. Viridian; Dan completly owns this song, nothing can beat that amazing solo he plays in this. Finally... White Walls! This song is a great way to end this magnificent album. Every part about it is great. The solo at the end never stops and it's completly mind-blowing! Nothing could sound better than this album. In conclusion, Between the Buried and Me is an incredable band and they never dissapoint their fans. If I lost this album I would 100% go out and buy a new one, or kill whoever stole it. I love everything about "Colors" and there is nothing to hate. If I could describe this album in only three words they would be: Perfection, dedication, and musicianship.

carrotcake
    Silky Smooth wrote: I picked up the album on a recommendation from a friend. I've never heard the band before. After giving about 3 listens through now I really dig it. Great musicians and awesome array of sounds. really talented band that executes what they want to get across VERY well. 8/10 from me
    cool, good job your friends are getting the word out, I've told all my friends about this and they love it!
    a dozen furies
    this album is amazing foamborn a) the back track reminds me of queen and then goes into the awesomeness that is Between the buried and me with some awesome sweeeping i am so glad these guys have returned and claimed the metal throne that is rightfully theirs LONG LIVE BETWEEN THE BURIED AND ME