Colors review by Between the Buried and Me

• Released: Sep 18, 2007
Between the Buried and Me: Colors

As for the production of this album, it's flawless. All instruments are clearly audible when they need to be. The production manages to balance the heavy with the ambient and all in all, the band and their engineer didn't make any bad moves. The honesty and skillful execution is an example to others attempting to pen albums of the same scope.

I will not even try to engage in a proper lyrical analysis for this album. The language at first glance is not overly rich, but the subtle nuances and metaphors are very cleverly written. A less seasoned reader might dismiss the lyrics as gibberish, but yours truly find them to be very refreshing. We are dealing with social criticism, but very subtly implemented. The vocal melodies accompanying the lyrics are also not your standard fare. All in all, refreshing.

For this particular album, the progressive rock/metal tag is one of the most ill-fitting ones I've penned. But the thing is with this album is that is spans so many genres and influences that frankly it'd take up half the review listing just them. A short summary of the many influences I can hear are: technical playing a-la Dream Theater, progressive, soft soundscapes in the vein of Pink Floyd, hardcore vocals, death metal and to round it all off, some very Beatles-esque melodies. Clocking in at 64 minutes, it's quite a piece to take in. This is not easy listening, and if you prefer your rock/metal straight up like AC/DC, then this is not your band.

The album is littered with brutal breakdowns and some captivating melodies. Perhaps the most beautiful of them all is the main melody of Ants Of The Sky, which amusingly enough does it's last tour of duty after what sounds like a regular night out at the local Irish pub. Part of the charm lies in the execution of these unexpected sections, but what's most important is that the charm doesn't fade with time. The honesty and skillful execution is an example to others attempting to pen albums of the same scope. With only a few months remaining of 2007, Colors is so far the best of the year.

ktstein
    It's 10 years later and BTBAM just announced their "COLORS 10 YEAR ANNIVERSARY TOUR."  This album is still on regular rotation (not quite weekly, but I still listen once a month at least), and I still feel it's the best album of the "aughts!"
    InsomniaRocks
    Just started listening to this last night...pretty ungodly. I love the little acoustic bit at the end of ants of the sky
    btbammaniac247
    btbam is the best band like freaking ever!!!!! i really think this album stands out beyond any other album by them....i have them all, and i have to say that these guys in this cd, prove to be the most versatile band like freaking ever!!!!! BTBAM IS THE GREATEST BAND IN THE WORLD!!!!!
    bakin
    I listen to this album at least once a day. It's flawless.
    Reviewer Pete
    ashesofthewake wrote: so basically, waht you are all saying, is that if i loved ALASKA, that this will kick some ass? (fave song-Selkies:the endless obsession)
    The albums aren't carbon copies, but they've evolved their sound even more. Pretty sure you'll like it if you loved Alaska.
    Mask_Of_Sanity
    troyponce wrote: I love the 10 seconds of wankery in the last song. Sounds like it was put there just to show Dragonforce fans that other people can do it too. This is my favorite album of the year so far, only thing that comes close in my mind is the Dethalbum.
    Quoted for truth And Dethklok aren't even real which makes it so much better -anDy
    Mask_Of_Sanity
    Quoted for truth And Dethklok aren't even real, yet their album's that good. -anDy
    ashesofthewake
    ajax
    one of the best albums I own. the DSOTM of this generation perhaps? that being said, not only is the album art reminiscent of it, but BTBAM explore vast soundscapes in this album that were previously untouched. deffinitely worth any amount.
    mr. riff
    SL!!! wrote: Wow, BTBAM and Thrice on firstpage news, my two favorites, awesome. This cd is easily a 10.
    I agree. Tis a great day for the UG front page!
    pitbull510
    This is an AMAZING ALBUM. Some of the best songs ive heard. period. Theyve done a great thing for music.
    ~Rock~Guitarist
    Absolutely amazing. There aren't words to describe this CD. I saw them here in San Diego last Saturday and it was an amazing experience. I don't know how they are ever going to top Colors, but I'm sure they will blow me away again.
    SL!!!
    rockonmetal83
    this is the most masterfully crafted cd ive ever purchased, being a long fan of btbam, i can say that they have progressed undeniably and i think their next release will of course top this one =]
    ad a sdfibsgi
    sooo stoked so many people like this album as much as i do. BTBAM is my favorite band of all time, hands down, and for all you guitarists out there that want a big ****ing challenge, go buy the tab book for it. go to lulu.com and search BTBAM. i personally cant finish one song all the way through, but i got bits and pieces.....its killing me, haha.
    no mercy
    this is one of the best bands I have ever heard. Alaska was sick, and it only got better. There is so much going on in the songs; God I love good music!
    emr_steelmech
    corruptjustice wrote: great cd. wow, no haters so far...crazy
    i know, right? That never happens. Tells you something doesn't it.
    SchecterC-1+Man
    dude. I bought this CD the day after it came out I litterally have not listened to anything else but this CD for the 2 or 3 weeks it's been out, i've been listening to only this EVERY FRICKEN DAY in my very humble opinion, I think it is probably the best album to come out in the past decade or so
    gibsonLP68
    any14doomsday wrote: The sun of nothing is the best song
    I dont know about that...
    boyan89
    this is one hell of a band, their music inspires my guitar playing a lot...and i love their style it's soo original.