Colors review by Between the Buried and Me

• Released: Sep 18, 2007
Between the Buried and Me: Colors

This is going to be the hardest album to reivew, because I find this album flawless. I've been into between the buried and me since the silent circus, seen them three times, and when colors came out I was beyond psyched because I knew it was going to be amazing, but I didn't kno it was going to be that good. The sound? I guess I'll start out by saying BTBAM is generally a prog metal band with hardcore influences. Very technical. And you can tell especially on Colors they are heavily influcend by bands such as King Crimson, Wishbone Ash, and Pink Floyd. I mean I showed the album to my dad who hates metal and screaming and whatnot and he loved the album cause it represented a lot of those influences. But this band, after the release of Colors, cannot be categorized anymore. They have created the most beautiful album I have ever heard. This sound and production of the record is incredible. The album starts out with its first track and is just a nonstop epic journey until the end. The sound is effing incredible.

Tommy is a great lyricsist, but not in a Keith Buckley (ETID) sense, more because he is one of few lyric writers that has been able to fall back on his own style of writing. Most the songs are about simple things that he wanted to write about. Example, Foam Born (both) are just about BTBAMs progression as a band. White Walls is generally the same, talking about how they started with nothing, and now they will have made a mark on music forever with thier music. Ants Of The Sky is about tommy watching a bunch of people walking around in an airport. It's cool stuff, and songs like prequel to the sequel are stories, and give you a very good sense of imagery in your head.

When I buy a CD, I either categorize it as a cd, aka a compliation of songs by an artist, or an album, which is one flowing musical compostion. In my opinion this is BTBAMs first album. Everything has a general flow and there is no repition. They have broken down millions of barriers releasing this album, and I don't believe anyone in any similar genre can touch them, including prog, metal, hardcore, shred, etc. Best songs of this album are all of them. Don't burn this, buy it because the listening experience wouldn't be the same with sloppy stopping to switch tracks in between songs. When I first heard it I thought I was still on track one when track 4 came on. It's just an amazing listening experience. Every song has there amazing part that you will want to hear over and over again. They've done so much crazy shit on the record, from sweep breakdowns, to accordian stuff, to redneck breakdowns, so shredtastic solos, and on and on and on. If you appreciate music for it's complxity, no matter what genre you listen to, you will somehow be able to appreciate this album. And you will love it if you are already a BTBAM fan. I would buy it as many times as needed. And I cannot say that about any other album I have ever heard, and I listen to a lot of music. Flawless dudes, I loved it and love it everytime I hear it. Thank you so much for creating such a work of art.

1h81337
    wow. this album is just...omgcreaminyourpants-core. in terms of individual solos or songs, though i would still have to vote for alaska's selkies or all bodies.
    The Spoon
    I didnt think iw would like BTBAM because of the death metallish vocals, but igave it a shot and realized that its pretty damn awesome. the singing is so amazing too Its one long track pretty much. i love that. the sogn titles are so cool too White Walls is such an epic ending for a CD i cant really find any flaws in this...
    Funeral Moon
    I just read about this album in depth today. And after hearing all this raving and phraising, I'm interested. But, I don't know if this is really what I'd listen to and enjoy. I like death, Black, Thrash, and just pretty much heavy ****ing metal. I prefer Brutal/Technical Death Metal. If any other Death Metal heads are reading this, Did you like this, and would you recommend it?
    Funeral Moon
    HAMMETTOWNS
    This deserves album of the year fo sho. The talent that BTBAM has is just incredible. Ur not gonna find a band that can blend so many genres and make it sound amazing. BTBM is once in a life time. BUY THIS ALBUM!!!
    AmorVincitOmnia
    Funeral Moon wrote: Now after reading about how technical the album is, Go listen to any song by Necrophagist and it's much more technical and difficult.
    It's not about who's more technical. Music isn't a sport.