Colors review by Between the Buried and Me

• Released: Sep 18, 2007
Between the Buried and Me: Colors

This album's sound is real different from any other I heard, but in a good way. It differs from previous albums from the band, but I consider it a evolution, they were already very good, but they got even better. They obviously got influenced by Pink Floyd, and "alike" bands. I hear some psychedelic in there, some Dream Theater-esque stuff, they took up a whole bunch of genres and influences and put all that on a single CD, with an awesome result. The only genre I could find for this CD, is progressive-psychedelic-death-hardcore-metal, yeah, I made it up. Overall, this album sounds amazing, it's the kind of thing that you don't go in song by song, but my favorites are really Informal Gluttony (the intro is amazing), and Ants Of The Sky. I'm not giving this a straight ten, just cause I really like to serious headbanging material (stuff like parkway drive that you can mosh to, and sing along with it and stuff). But this really sounds amazing, I listened to it at least 20 times already (in it's integrity) and I still love it.

I didn't spend much time looking at the lyrics, but I opened the little book for that review, and the lyrics are really different, they look a bit weird on paper, but when mixed in with the music, it all sounds pretty great. Tommy Rogers's growl is still as awesome, his clean lyrics are also great (they make me think of Pink Floyd for some reason). I never really liked music where the emphasis is put on the singer, I like it when everything is a whole. Well with Colors I've been served. The lyrics are not soo loud you don't hear anything else, there's a whole bunch of instrumental parts, etc.

You can't really compare this to other artists. But compared to their previous records, they really improved. The mix really got better, in Alaska it seems everything got screwed up, the music was still real good, but the mix was badly done. In Colors that got fixed up. The most impressive songs, like I said earlier, this is not a song by song thing, and I like to consider it as a 1 hour long song, but Informal Gluttony and Ants Of The Sky really cut it through for me. The guitar work is really awesome, the drummer is still as crazy (well I wouldn't even call him a drummer, 'cause I hear a bunch of percussions in this record). The bassist is really good. The synth work is often in the background, but it adds a nice touch, and I'm pretty sure the record would sound empty without it. Everything is important in this album, every little thing brings something, and it makes Colors. If it were stolen/lost, I'd definately hunt down the bastard and get my album back, then hand him a copy. Overall I really recommend this album to anyone who listens to any kind of heavy music, and others. As long as you have a bit of a open mind, your gonna like this.

Me2NiK
    ArsMoriendi
    I see a very similar resemblance between this album cover and that of Going For The One by Yes... hmmm
    ArsMoriendi
    I see a very stark resemblance between this album artwork and that of Going For The One by Yes. hmmm
    lukeshredpard
    Funeral Moon wrote: Now after reading about how technical the album is, Go listen to any song by Necrophagist and it's much more technical and difficult.
    I LOVE this cd. And I am glad they are showing that you aren't a good guitar player just because you can sweep. The bassist made a lot of progression on this album and I am probly going to cream when the next cd hits my ears. My favorite songs are sun of nothing and Prequel to the sequel. oh, and funeral moon, FUCK you. Have a nice day. =)
    xtremebrews
    Me2NiK wrote: Yes, there's harder stuff to play out there. There are more technical bands. But you'd be hard-pressed to find a band that combines such technicality with musicality to create such an amazing-sounding album. The fact is technicality often comes in the way of musicality (see: Dragonforce) and overshadows it. It is not the case here. Colours is a true work of art, even if it's not painfully technical.
    AmorVincitOmnia
    huevos
    AmorVincitOmnia wrote: xtremebrews wrote: just because an artist makes something super technical and almost impssible to play doesnt make him the best guitarist... It has to sound good Although Necrophagist is good too. Theire neo-classical sound is awesome and catchy as well as extremely technical.
    is Necrophagist in the same general camp of Tech/Brutal Death Metal as Cryptopsy? i hope they aren't pulling the same atonal crap as them. mind you, i do enjoy some atonality (Today is the Day, Meshuggah, Hella, Ion Dissonance, etc.). i can't stand Cryptopsy's stuff after None So Vile though. mostly because of the nonsensical drum lines. the dude has talent, no doubt. ok, the verdict is in. Necrophagist is actually pretty good. they're more towards prog/neo-classical death metal, not that labels really matter. its not my favorite (nor as excellent as BTBAM versatile style, imo) but its still badass. as for BTBAM, i wish they would play in the 505. too many damn meat-eating cholos here tho. hhahahaha. and with PTH new album, they are more than catching up to BTBAM. Fortess is definitly on par with Colors. i can't choose a favorite.