Colors review by Between the Buried and Me

• Released: Sep 18, 2007
Between the Buried and Me: Colors

Well, this is my first experience with BTBAM. And to be honest, this is the best first impression a band has ever given me. This album is INSANE. The band covers more genres than should be legal on a death metal album, with such influences ranging from Pink Floyd and King Crimson to Pantera and other metal greats. Some genre changes come when you'd least expect it. One such time is the band bringin' out the fiddles and banjos at the end of "Ants Of The Sky." If any other band tried this, it would probably sound horrible. Needless to say, the BTBAM boys pull it off perfectly. Paul Waggoner's and Dustie Waring's guitars chunk out some of the craziest riffs to ever bleed through my ears, and also some guitar solos that would bring a tear to David Gilmour's eye. Dan Briggs' bass shines on the instrumental "Viridian." Blake Richardson's drums blow the back of your brain out your butt with quick and unexpected tempo changes. And lastly, Tommy Rogers' keyboards add depth to what is already an amazing ocean of sound. At some moments in "Foam Born (A) The Backtrack", "Sun Of Nothing", "Viridian", and "White Walls" is one of the few times that I can say that a death metal album was beautiful. No matter what your experience with metal is, nothing, I repeat nothing will prepare you for what awaits your ears on Colors.

The lyrics are amazing. Tommy Rogers' lyrics are not your typical death metal lyrics. But then again, this isn't your typical death metal album. At times strange, at times more like dialouge than actual lyrics, they are amazing. Rogers' is probably one of the most talented metal vocalists today. His vocal ranges from the brutal death growl we all know and love, to a calming singing voice reminescent of Muse's vocalist. My only problem (and this is really minor compared to everything else) is that not all of the lyrics are in the booklet, and some that are in the lyrics are never said. Some lyrics to "White Walls" are missing. A few lines of "Ants Of The Sky" aren't even in the song. Also, the lyrics in paranthesis (for the most part) are never sung.

Colors definetly takes my pick as best metal album of 2007. It's just one 64 minute long song of insanity divided into 8 tracks. I'll just cut it down track by track: 01. Foam Born: The Backtrack - perfect intro, lulling the listener into a false sense of comfort before exploding towards the end of the track. 02. Foam Born: The Decade Of Statues - picks up from where The Backtrack left off and just continues bringing the brutality up until it's final second. 03. Informal Gluttony - begins with a Middle Eastern type intro, before exploding into the verses. Features some melody and superb clean vocals in the chorus. 04. Sun Of Nothing - starts with the drum solo concluding the last track and takes off for an 11 minute epic. This probably has my favorite lyrics on the whole album. Rogers' clean vocals shine towards the end. The song ends on the words "I'll sleep." 05. Ants Of The Sky - picks up the last word from Sun Of Nothing "now", which makes it kind of weird to listen to on an iPod. Another long epic, featuring the unorthodox hillbilly outro. 06. Prequel To The Sequel - probably my least favorite song on the whole album, but still a great one. Starts off with a great riff and continues it's way smashing through the lyrics until it reaches something that sounds like polka mixed with Marilyn Manson. 07. Viridian - the album's softest track is also its' only instrumental. A nice arpeggiated riff plays throughout the song with an amazing bass solo by Dan Briggs. As the song draws to a close, a sound of brewing chaos stirs in the background that can only be. 08. White Walls - words fail me. The best song on the album is also it's longest, clocking in at 14 minutes. The brutal opening riff tells you that it's just begun. And after the final lyrics, "White wall", the band decides it's not over just yet and continues for a 4 minute long instrumental outro, ending with a final piano piece. If this album were stolen, I would hunt down the person who stole it and put a bullet in their worthless fat face. If I lost it, I would search to the ends of the Earth to find it. Or I'd just get another copy.

Jordanw08
    Most amazing album Ive ever heard in my Life! hands down. They are so technical its insane, Paul Waggoner and Dusty Warring are amazing guitarists! Drums are so Tech! it blows me away at how well they pulled this epic album off! I'd Pay quadruple the price for this Cd!