Colors review by Between the Buried and Me

• Released: Sep 18, 2007
Between the Buried and Me: Colors

Between The Buried And Me is a group of extremely talented musicians that put full use to any musical technique and theory available to them. These guys are some of the best musicians I can think of in metal right now. This CD is mostly progressive metal but it contains a lot jazz elements, a bit of saloon like square dance stuff, and much more. This CD really impressed me. I loved their old CD, Alaska, but this CD shows a huge amount of progress in their writing and puts Alaska to shame. The use of odd time signatures makes the CD a lot of fun and they really know how to do them right.

I don't really care about lyrics for most bands but the lyrics on this album are actually really great. They give you such a vivid image and the music fits perfect. The singer doesn't really do anything super impressive as far as range or anything goes but there's no one else I could imagine in his spot. He puts a lot of thought behind what he says and how he does it.

This album is way better than any of BTBAM's other albums and I own all of them. for me, the most impressive song from this album is White Walls. This song is a 14 minute epic piece of music. This shows BTBAM at their best. The use of time signatures, polyrythms, harmony, melody, varying moods, and the solo guitar for the last 3 minutes is the perfect way to end an album. Paul Waggoner, the lead guitarist, really puts on a show through the album. I love every minute of this CD but it took me time to appreciate it. If it were stolen I would immedately go out and get it again.

adamdrulz
    a6l6e6x1
    wildchild6660 wrote: actually the first track reminds me more of muse
    more pink floyd for me but yeah this album has changed my whole perspective on music and now i like a much wider range. it is pure genius and ive listened to it about 60-70 times and am trying to learn ants of the sky but its a bit hard!
    Tumble-weed
    Amazing album. Ants of the Sky is the best song on this album imo. It covers so many different genres from metal to classic rock to jazz and even country! Hahaha!
    wildchild6660
    a dozen furies wrote: this album is amazing foamborn a) the back track reminds me of queen and then goes into the awesomeness that is Between the buried and me with some awesome sweeeping i am so glad these guys have returned and claimed the metal throne that is rightfully theirs LONG LIVE BETWEEN THE BURIED AND ME
    actually the first track reminds me more of muse
    +}-136-{+
    Fucking awesome album. Mindblowing. I'm a fan of death metal stuff, but at times, the death metal parts on this record are a bit too much for me. Wish there were some more proggy instrumental sections and interludes. Still, this album is pretty damn sick. My second favorite album of 2007, with the first being 'Ire Works' by The Dillinger Escape Plan.
    seanjp7
    ok for one btbam aren't metalcore. and for two this album is definately in my top 5 of all time. what that guy said also, check out protest the hero and the human abstract also. kezia and fortress are two of the greatest albums ever. also pick up nocturne, thats another one of my favorites.
    hitek008
    metalcore...BTBAM?...dont get me wrong they are kick ass i just never really thought they would be considered metalcore.
    fartsyjoe420
    stumaster18 wrote: meh. it was alright. I bought this after UG claimed it was the best metal album of 2007. I dont know about that.
    i absolutely love everything about this album and at first thought couldnt say that it was the 'best' album of the year, but then i couldn't think of anything that came close. plus the complexity of the songs makes it impossible to overhear. 10/10
    ernasty10050
    One of the best albums I've ever heard. I've had it since the week it came out and still listen.
    Intoxicator
    Awesome album ! it is realy worth listening for every hevy stuff-admired person. Though it can be categorised as a progressive metalcore, it is still very technical and melodic !
    stumaster18
    hard2thacore
    between the buried and me and damn good, colors was everything i was expecting and then some... ive always loved the way they go from raspy death metal to melodic ambient easy listening in the same song just like that.... i also second jawster above me here they are definatly not metalcore
    Jawkster
    I heard they were labelled metalcore, so i listened to them, and hell no they weren't (this was before Colours came out). Even though their earlier stuff didn't really appeal to me apart from Mordecai and Ad a Dglgmut, Colours is a truly amazing album.
    Hexagram
    adamdrulz wrote: Good progressive album, but overrated. Too much in your face musicianship, and best parts are the soft interludes.
    Overrated? On the contrary, I think that it is being received quite well and is the best cd released in 2007. It has easily made its place as one of my favorite albums of all time and I'm glad to see other people agreeing how great it is
    pinkfloydfish
    I really don't like the growling vocals, but for this album I will get over it and listen anyway. The band has extreme talent. Long-live prog metal!
    Shredder Guitar
    im absolutely in love with this album... i recently got Opeth's Blackwater Park and hear some subtle similarities as well. this album spans so many genres its amazing