Colors review by Between the Buried and Me

• Released: Sep 18, 2007
Between the Buried and Me: Colors

This band has set it's progressive footprint in the world of hardcore-based death metal. This North Carolina Quartet has already made a name for itself with the 2005 release of Alaska, which was a dense furious mess of metal brilliance. Now fast forward to present, we come to BTBAM's new release; Colors. Colors is not your ordinary progressive death metal record. This 63 minute leviathan, is a world of morphing meters, growls, breakdowns, whirling synths and seemingly endless shredding. The album opens up with the fairly mellow 'Foam Born (a): The Backtrack', it features vocalist/keyboardist Tommy Rogers crooning alogside a sombre piano, midway during the song the rest of the band kicks and plays like a modern version of Queen. Suddenly the bottom falls out and the band blasts beats and growls into infinity. This album is actually one continuous piece, and features the most variety found in metal album. As for the music in general, everything is skillfully performed; from a tiny bass-fill or brutal blast-beats. The rhythm section which comprises of Drummer Blake Richardson and Bassist Dan Briggs is exceptional, they serve as solid backing for guitarists Dustie Waring and Paul 'Holy-crap! ' Waggoner. All the musicians are versatile and stretch the album to it's limits, yes, this album manages to fit in a redneck-induced hoedown. The genres featured on the album are quite extensive but may irritate the light listener as one may not be in the mood for Italian-Fisharmonica while listening to a considerably heavy band, but most people seem to get over that and embrace those factors. True, some of the transitions are unexpected and down-right random; this will truly challenge the listnener at the beginning. Richardson's drums stand out on every track with the exception of 'Viridian', nonetheless this is no big loss as the fantastic bass solo by Briggs is astonishing. Waggoner and Waring have completely outdone themselves and proved themsleves a formidable duo in rock-guitar, with chunky riffs and some beautiful leadwork. Though the album is not truly abundant with solos, the 14 minute closing track 'White Walls' has a solo which will most likely make your jaw fall through the centre of the earth. Other stand out songs include 'Ants of the sky' and 'Sun of Nothing', which both clock over ten minutes. Beside the shiny fretwork and skin-bashing, the album does start to get repetetive at points (you can only listen to 'chug-chug-chugga' so many times). The breakdowns are considerably drone-like at points, and only seem to be there to fill in time.

Rogers growls are as menacing and consistent as ever, and his clean vocals are still astounding. The lyrics are complicated and hard to understand but mostly stand as protest pieces against modern society and globalisation while more pesonal issues are tackled in 'White-walls.'

This album, even objectively speaking is a major milestone in music. It proposes a radical concept and adresses it with grace and skill, something that has barely been achieved by most artists with the exception of bands like Opeth and Genghis Tron. Colors is truly exceptional, and will be remembered for a long, long time.

LightxGrenade
    Great band, great cd, regardless of what kind of genre you want to dub them as - Colors is really something special. I don't even like listening to this cd unless I have the time to dedicate to the whole track list which makes it great for long drives...
    lilscooter11
    I picked this up for 5 in July and still haven't given it the time of day yet, bar the first 2 tracks. I guess I need to be in a psyched mood for longer songs, except when Protest the Hero is thrown into the equation.
    TylerAOH&A7X
    man and i thought a year ago I was in deep shit with my musical direction and choice of words to back it up....obviously you have NEVER heard BtBaM, or else you wouldnt ever have to say BtBaM, no, and talent in the same sentence ever again!! ****head
    Carn1vorE
    jo3myster wrote: canadheadbng22 wrote: BBM sucks ass. Get some real ****en talent. seriously. its called thrash metal, not trash metal. Why you gotta stink it up with a big narcotic headache? its retarted Talent? And I'm guessing that your better guitar player than Paul Waggoner or Dustie, or better drummer than Blake.
    so much for no haters.. BTBAM is AMAZING, u dont have a ****in clue about talent, dumbass
    jo3myster
    canadheadbng22
    frottage
    Amazing album. I love it, but I've decided to not listen to it a whole lot. I love bands where I can listen to them multiple times, and still hear something new every time and think "wow, that's pretty cool". Stuff like Dream Theater, Necrophagist, Symphony X, and BTBAM do that for me.
    new_age_reject
    connorusry13 wrote: This album cures cancer
    And AIDS... But seriously, no review below 9.6... says it all. This is one of the greatest albums to have ever passed through my brain!
    Infinite__Death
    mdawg24 wrote: Um... best cd ever? I think yes. Hendershot88 wrote: I know this is like punishable by death but could someone reccomend like 3 songs to download that would be epic to hear? I've heard so much about these guys but never heard anything. Anyone suggest anything? I'd say: Foam Born B: The Decade of Statues Sun of Nothing White Walls Those will be your best bet.
    IMO i would say: selkies: the endless obsession White walls Mordecai or sun of nothing if not: foam born both of them
    mdawg24
    Um... best cd ever? I think yes.
    Hendershot88
    stumaster18
    mooseninja wrote: Best album of 2007, bar none. One of the only albums that I can call a piece of artwork in music form.
    ...All music is art.