Coma Ecliptic review by Between the Buried and Me

• Released: Jul 10, 2015
Between the Buried and Me: Coma Ecliptic

To start this off this is my first introduction to the band so I am not comparing this to any of their past works. "Coma Ecliptic" is a very technical progressive metal take on a rock opera, with a very interesting concept/story behind the album that takes you on a journey as the record progresses. The production and mastering on this album is extremely well done and everything is crystal clear with all the instruments and vocals leveled perfectly in the mix throughout the record with great dynamic. The leads on this album are incredible the guitar players have lots a feel and melody in their playing whether it's a 4 second phrase or a multiple minute lead part, the guitarist's don't waste any notes or any time with senseless noodling every note counts and their playing on the record is flawless and does great things to improve the song and help with the telling of the story enhancing the feel of the songs. The keyboards add a very cool element to the album with a lot of atmosphere whether it's a synthetic type sound EX: "Dim Ignition" or a more natural piano sound EX: "Node." The drums are very tight throughout and there are countless fills that really grab your attention, and provide a STRONG backbone to the mix.

The vocals are very well executed the singer has a great sense of melody and does very interesting vocal patterns and styles to fit certain parts that are very unique and fit the parts very well, a great example of this is in the song "The Ectopic Stroll" where the protagonist has a meeting with strange man who offers him a certain deal and the dialogue goes back and forth from the familiar protagonist's voice to the crazed/mad voice of the other man and the vocalist does this very well. As for the lyrics, it is a concept album that has a very complex story that focuses on the protagonist who wakes up in a strange world and finding out he is in a coma he walks through this dream and is faced with the choice to stay in the "Red Velvet Walls" of this dream or go back into reality. The story is very complex and holds your attention entirely throughout the whole album. I would recommend following along with the lyrics because it helps you comprehend the story further and get more involved in the story behind the brilliant musicianship of the songs.

One of my favorite things about this record is that all of the songs tie together and flow so well that if your music player doesn't pause between tracks you'll have no idea when one song ends and the next begins. The flow is very well done and the story behind this record is very well portrayed not only through the lyrics but also all the instruments which is very impressive. Every track is brilliant and since they all flow together I don't see any need to pick out any "most impressive songs from the album." Overall this record completely floored me, I have listened to it 5 times start to finish now since I bought the record (last week) and every time it holds my full attention and never ceases to amaze me. If you are a fan of progressive rock/metal or even just a fan of great concept albums I highly recommend you buy this record and give it a try with an open mind, I guarantee that you will enjoy this masterpiece. If this album was stolen/lost or broken from being played too many times I would go out to my nearest music store and pick it up as soon as possible. "Coma Ecliptic" is easily one of the most impressive and mind blowing records I've heard in a long time, and I strongly believe it will be looked upon as a classic album in 15/20 years. I honestly can't find anything I don't like about this record and always lust to put it in and play it again.

TheInserter
    Coma Ecliptic seems more like an album rather than a huge gust of intricate musicianship as demonstrated in their earlier works. Their chemistry has grown remarkably tight throughout the years and it proves to be their strongest effort yet. My favourite BTBAM album since Colours. Absolutely love Paul's solo's on this one.