The Great Misdirect review by Between the Buried and Me

• Released: Oct 27, 2009
Between the Buried and Me: The Great Misdirect

Let's start with a big fat HOLY CRAP. Between The Buried And Me have proven themselves to be one of the tightest, most accomplished musical acts around today. They are easily my favorite band, and this new album only adds greatly to that fact. The sound of the album varies, in that this one the band decided to open up all of there musical ability even MORESO with the use of unusually percussion, a whole bunch of different acoustic instrument sounds, and just a boat load of unheard of creativity. Before my ears were privileged with listening to this, Colors was my favorite album of all time, and The Great Misdirect either ties it or takes the lead. This album still holds the Between The Buried And Me brutality that all of there diehard fans have come to love, and still contains some of the most beautiful sounds I've ever heard. I am huge progressive fan, but really can't stand literally ANY of the vocalists that front any modern day progressive bands (i.e. Dream Theater, Outworld), however my other favorite types of music are either extremely chill and ambient, and the most brutal you can get with breakdowns and fast riffs and such. So you see why I love the album so much, BTBAM has literally answered my personal musically prayers. I feel that everyone should at least give it a listen because it is absolutely mind-blowing.

Well, the lyrically content is nothing short of astounding. Not only does it compliment the mood of the music perfectly, but the lyrics in all the songs coincide with society as a whole today. For example, "Fossil Genera: A Feed From Cloud Mountain" discusses a secret society of people who rule the world behind the scenes and are basically making there vision into a reality, and using people for experimental purposes. AKA The Illuminati, which rules literally everything you see in the world today. Tommy, the singer, is singing about truth and what our society is in store for as these people "discuss our future". If that isn't intense enough, "Desert of Song" is about music being banned in society as we know it, and a group of people go into the desert to write music to continue on with it's beauty. The other songs are all related by essentially describing the downfall of society, and "Swim To The Moon" can be interpreted as one not being able to deal with the pressure of society and escaping via "swimming to the moon". It is intense beyond belief, and just as colors did for me, it paints a picture just as vivid as a world renowned artist. The actual vocal performance is untouchable, as Tommy incorporates more range and singing mixed in with his anomalous screaming techniques. The guitarist Paul actually does some incredible singing on "Desert of Song" as well, and it really adds to the mood of that song.

I'll begin with fact that nothing disappointed me whatsoever on the entire album. The music is absolutely breathtaking, as is the lyrically content. I honestly can't pick a favorite song at all, but I will give you a short overview on each track. The opener, "Mirrors," is a very tripped out song, with very odd timings and just one hell of a listen. "Obfuscation" does not disappoint, as it flows directly from "Mirrors," and starts with a bang. It continues on to include some insane guitar work which is incredible. "Disease, Injury, Madness" is the song I would say is most comparable to older BTBAM, as it is straight forward metal and chill throughout, with a very cool rockin' interlude. "Fossil Genera" has the most unexpected BTBAM intro, and it continues on to be an insanely dark song, with some of the most unique parts I've ever heard. The next track "Desert of Song" takes a trip down a different road for BTBAM, being all acoustic. Shevanel (take 2) was incredible on The Silent Circus, but this one is different. It features the guitarist Paul singing, and his voice along with Tommy's mix incredibly well. Such a great, emotionally driven song with a fantastic meaning. The album's closer "Swim To The Moon" may be the best song ever created, with so many different types of parts. With the song clocking in at 17:54, there is not one second that is boring. It just continues straight until the end with the most intense bombardment of musical originality ever. It's a mind blowing album and is a much welcomed next step in the process of Between The Buried And Me's growth as progressive musicians. Must own for any prog lover, metalhead, and anyone who appreciates music for the talent and presentation aspect of it.