The Great Misdirect review by Between the Buried and Me

• Released: Oct 27, 2009
Between the Buried and Me: The Great Misdirect

This album was by far my most anticipated album of 2009, and I'm sure others agree. Following 2007's "Colors" album Btbam has become an underground progressive phenomenon. The Great Misdirect is made up of beautiful soundscapes whether playing metal, jazz, bluegrass, trip-hop or any of the other genres they fuse into their sound they play to extreme proficiency and virtuosity. The album opens up with "Mirrors" & "Obfuscation" the latter being the first released song off the album. This song starts with a gorgeous opening with an odd catchy rythm. Then busting into obfuscation with a similar rhythm only extremely heavy and melodic, without listening to this album it is very hard to explain. Tommy Rogers' vocals on the album jump around a lot from bellowing screams to melodic ambient belts. Paul Waggoner really upped the anty on this album, tons of off-time thrashy movements into spiraling instrumental tangents. The rhythm section really stands out on this album, the little bass solos looming in the background done by Dan Briggs(Orbs) and the grind-jazz drumming of Black Richardson(Glass Casket) really make for a funky bottom end while the searing guitar riffs and vocals/synth dominate the forefront. This is my #1 album of 2009! I highly recommend everyone to purchase it and give it a real listen!

The Lyrics on this albums are completely unique and well-thought out. "Fossil Genera-A Feed From Cloud Mountain" referrs to aliens and their pre-determined apocalypse of the human race. The songs like "The Desert Of Song" speak of a time where music is outlawed and people have to sneak to the desert to play. A lot of the lyrics discuss the universes' connection with the mind and Other worldly knowledge. The vocals on this album are very unique and jump around constantly making for the classic Btbam sound.

This is honestly one of my favorite albums. I still find it hard to grasp it all sometimes this band has so much going on at once you have to listen to it multiple times just to catch on to some of the spontaneous off-time rhythms. Definately a favorite band of many musicians they keep raising the stakes and proving that they can just make music, and it doesn't have to have a particular genre or scene, it can just be beautifully structured music. If I lost this album I would refer to my back-up copies:). The stand out track on this album for me is "Disease, Injury, Madness." You just need to hear it to experience this song! Overall... Perfection