The Great Misdirect review by Between the Buried and Me

• Released: Oct 27, 2009
Between the Buried and Me: The Great Misdirect

The Great Misdirect is the long awaited follow up to Between the Buried and Me's genre defying album, Colors. I know that a lot of people didn't believe that the band could actually out do Colors, many being skeptical that it would even be good. Your worries can be put to rest. The album is impeccable. A step in a new direction as well. With only 6 songs on the album, I was extremely interested in what I would find. What we have are 6 beautiful, well arranged masterpieces. The more progressive direction the band took might turn a few fans off of the album, complaining that the band strayed from their more "core" sound, but BTBAM are all about evolution. Just listen to the difference between the self titled and The Silent Circus. Two amazing albums, but two totally different sounds coming out of them. All in all, they grew on this album, creating a work of art. But obviously it has it's few flaws. For example, while every song did feel very complete and awesome, I felt that maybe they could have included one more song. Seven just seems like a good number. Second, I found Pauls leads to be, overall, a little more emotionless than we're used too hearing. I didn't hear anything as epic as the ending of Selkies, or as moving as White Walls. This is just an overall look, because he DOES do some fantastic stuff here. Now, this is the Colors purist in me speaking, the album didn't flow as well as Colors. Anyone that listened to the album knows that every song went into the next, giving us the impression that the entire album was one giant song. This isn't the case in The Great Misdirect. Some songs flow, while others end quite abruptly, not really giving us that feeling Colors did. Some honourable mentions are the slow part and rodeo breakdown in Disease, Injury, Madness, the slow, epic ending of Fossil Genera, the musical excellency showed off in Swim to the Moon, and my biggest surprise, Desert of Song. This song shows a real melodic side to the band that hasn't really been touched upon throughout their career.

Tommy Rogers brings the reckoning with his vocals this time around. His clean vocals are sounding amazing, and his growl has never been more menacing. The lyrics are also of typical BTBAM style, being dark, mysterious and full of crazy metaphors and allegories. Some of my favourite are found in Swim to the Moon: "Glide Into the Water/Become On with The Sea/Life Feels So Much Smaller/ Swim To The Moon." It's that kind of stuff I expect out of the band, and they delivered. Nothing we haven't seen before, but still something that was very well done on the album.

Overall, The Great Misdirect won't disappoint. While it might not be Colors to some, it's something even bigger to others. One thing we cannot deny is just how consistent these guys are. Their music just keeps evolving and stays fresh in a world today where just so many bands sound as bland and unoriginal as the others, so hearing such great music is really a breath of fresh air. Kudos to the rhythm section as well on really stepping it up a notch this album. Blake's drumming has gotten to be quite unique and captivating, and Dan's bass lines are juicier than ever. Not to say the other guys stayed the same though! I just felt that they really got better and really complimented the album with their awesome sounding fills. All and all, it's a definitive buy for any Between the Buried and Me fan, an fans of music alike. (There's a chance that) you won't be disappointed.