The Great Misdirect review by Between the Buried and Me

• Released: Oct 27, 2009
Between the Buried and Me: The Great Misdirect

I really am enjoying the Great Misdirect. Mirrors has a very eerie sound to it. Mirrors was definitely a great way to start off the album. I liked how Dan Briggs used a fretless bass for the recording of Mirrors. Obfuscation is great because it sounds like a song that could be put on colors. I really like the dissonant chords used within the song. This is another great song that shows off their musical ability. It has an incredible solo in it close to the end. Disease, Injury, Madness really reminds me of songs from the Silent Circus. It has a softer part that reminds me of Backwards Marathon. I really like the jazzy-bluesy kinda solo during the song. It's cool how it changes from progressive sounding material to chill, bass-filled parts. Fossil Genera - A Feed from Cloud Montain is simply amazing. I will just leave it at that. Desert of Song is great because it is the only track on the album that Paul Waggoner sings on. It really is quite a beautiful song in its entirety. Swim to the Moon has to be my favorite song on the album by far. It opens with a Hawaiian, Caribbean like intro. Then it just goes straight into the prog stuff associated with little breaks of classical acoustic guitar. This song is probably the most complex song they have ever written. The solo parts starting at around 11:00 into the song are jaw-dropping. There's even a keyboard solo. It easily tops White Walls. This album should win album of the year. My least favorite song on the album is Obfuscation. It doesn't have a big amount of catchy parts in it.

The lyrics are great. They are just the typical Tommy Rogers lyrics. They fit very well with the songs. My favorite lyric is: Slide into the water, become one with the sea, life seems so much smaller, swim to the moon. I really like when Paul Waggoner did vocals on Desert of Song.

This is by far my favorite Between the Buried and Me album. The most impressive song on the album are Fossil Genera and Swim to the Moon. I love pretty much everything about it. There wasn't one part I didn't like. You need to get this album if you have not yet.