The Great Misdirect review by Between the Buried and Me

• Released: Oct 27, 2009
Between the Buried and Me: The Great Misdirect

Between The Buried And Me are easily one of the most instrumentally accomplished groups of musicians ever assembled. Virtuosity flows throughout their music like blood from a freshly severed vein. I am not just talking about sheer speed or the near impossibility of mastering one of their songs on any given instrument, I am talking about their brilliant ability to intertwine any and every genre of music imaginable to create a cohesive work of art. Their newest album "The Great Misdirect" is a prime example of their unusual style and ability to combine utterly different flavors of music to create something far more beautiful and unique than the vast majority of today's music.

The lyrics are never the high point of any BTBAM album. I am not saying the lyrics are bad by any means, but usually the listener is much more interested in what will happen next in the song musically than what Tommy is saying. I must say I do love the simple lyrics of "Mirrors" the opening track. They are short but get straight to the point. Once "Obfuscation" starts the lyrics all go straight out the window and the intense musical journey begins. I wont run through the songs, because that will spoil all of the fun of the BTBAM experience. Once you start listening to the album you should be nailed to your seat wondering what will happen next. Metal? Polka? Soft Rock? Screaming? Tender Singing? Piano Solo? Bass Solo? Guitar Solo?

The meticulously composed album has more depth than the average listener can probably handle. I can understand why it may be hard at first to enjoy a BTBAM album, the long song lengths (up to 17 mins on this album) and seemingly random arrangement of the songs are anything but a normal listening experience for most ears. But once you get past the original shock BTBAM manages to age like fine wine; I can't name an album that gets better with every listen than this one does. It's the accumulation of small details and subtle articulations that really make this album a diamond in the rough.

TylerAOH&A7X
    ratm_fan_06 wrote: Outstanding album...but one big thing that bothered me The ending (for Swim to the Moon) WAS HORRIBLE I was thinking, "Did the album honestly just end?"
    maybe its a good thing, the fact that they caught you off guard like that, how else would you be able to "adjust" to it if you absolutely cant stand it?? and besides, thats the same chord they use to end the intro and go into the main theme, so it makes alot of sense why they would do that haha