The Great Misdirect review by Between the Buried and Me

• Released: Oct 27, 2009
Between the Buried and Me: The Great Misdirect

BTBAM are one of the most talented bands around, and consistently produce good records. Its clear they work very very hard, and put a lot of effort into their music, and it pays off, this album is possibly their best yet. I think every member plays at least two instruments, and the musical integrity is hard to beat. This album is no different, and a few experiments (intro to Fossil Genera... anybody?) are thrown in, making this album an epic in progressive metal terms. I don't like the genre bashing that people like to do nowadays, but this band encompasses just about every feeling, and they do it very well.

Each song is about a different person I believe, and the lyrics provide varying themes, politics to suicide etc as far as I can tell. However, the lyrics are in no way generic, they are fresh and interesting and delivered with such power by Tommy Rogers. The vocals suit the music very well, and this is hard to do with such varied music, not just in one album, but one song! Impressive, however the tiniest thing is the sometimes overpowering musicality, but then I guess this is no bad thing!

BTBAM have only got better with this album, and colors was hard to beat. The music is more progressive, and each song is perfectly produced and written. As ever, Dusty and Paul are stunning as ever, with Dan providing some much need talent in the world of modern music. Blake is one of the tightest drummers in the business, and Tommy gives one of his best performances yet. This is really impressive stuff. Swim to the moon is perhaps my favoutite song, combining all of the best things of BTBAM in one song. I payed more than I should have for this album (hard to get hold of in Aberystwyth) but I would happily pay it again.

futurama_rules
    theoldwizard wrote: Good album, but it hasn't topped Colors in my opinion. But this album is growing on me each listen, so I may like it better in the end. Swim to the Moon is an amazing song, I must add.
    What I say to that is... No, it doesn't top colors it is a completely different album. Unlike most bands especially now, they're not just getting in a genre and completely sticking with it. Even bands that change up genres often have a "nah, we can't do anything like that, it's outside of the genre we're in right now" feel, but...that definitely isn't true of Between The Buried And Me... That being said, where I was going originally was that you really can't compare it to Colors, because it's a different kind of writing really, still riff driven, but definitely not formulaic.
    Senship
    It doesn't top Colors, but if you were expecting it to top their Magnum Opus you were sorely misled. This is a great album no doubt, but to really appreciate the album you will need to lower your expectations a little bit.
    Senship
    uninsane_guitar
    My only beef with this album is it didn't have the epic closing that Colors did it just kinda fizzled out :-/