The Parallax II: Future Sequence review by Between the Buried and Me

• Released: Oct 9, 2012
Between the Buried and Me: The Parallax II: Future Sequence

"The Parallax II: Future Sequence" is the sixth studio album by Between The Buried And Me and is the continuation of the band's two part concept album. Being much longer in length than three song "The Parallax: Hypersleep Dialogues", this album takes the theme and sound of their previous EP and explores it on a much deeper and wider level. While not straying far from the distinct sound they have created over the past few albums Between The Buried And Me manage to keep the riff writing and vocals sounding fresh. From smooth jazzy sounds to manic aggressive metal and everything in between there is plenty of fun and interesting instrumentation telling the story spanning this album. For those who haven't herd the album yet their first single "Astral Body" is a decent cross-section of the album. A mixture of textural and dizzying riffs show off Paul Waggoner and Dustie Waring's skill on the guitars and a mixture of cleanly melodic and more aggressive screamed vocals by Tommy Rogers sets the scene for the songs quite well. The album starts and ends with the relatively peaceful songs "Goodbye To Everything" and "Goodbye To Everything Reprise" respectively. There are plenty of good meaty songs on "Future Sequence" interlaced with with mildly creepy interludes like "Autumn" and a rather bizarre side trip that is "Bloom". Overall it is a fun album to listen to beginning to end that manages not to get stale even though it runs just over 72 minutes.

Tommy Rogers does very well with his vocals on this album. His clean singing sounds much improved to my ears over previous efforts and he uses it well throughout. The lyrical concepts on this album, like the previous EP, are rather deep and will take some digging into to get their full worth. There are callbacks to other work such as reprized lyrics in "Extremophile Elite" from "Specular Reflection" on "Hypersleep Dialogues" that make for an interest game of connect the musical dots.

This it Between The Buried And Me's best album since "Colors" and in my opinion it surpasses "Colors". Certainly a must have for any BTBAM fan. "Astral Body" is certainly a stand out song with an unexpectedly happy sound to it in the beginning. "Bloom" and "Extremophile Elite" are also favorites. It take more than one listen to really pick out all the little interesting details in the music. I've listened to this album through several times and it will remain in heavy rotation on my music players for a while. As I've stated previously this is a fun one to listen to.

mr7string
    UG Team gave this a 6.7 because they kept the same core 'sound' as their other works?! Their core sound consisting of more elements than most bands manage to achieve in a lifetime of albums . . . Good one.
    tancrackers
    I don't know why you're surprised by the ratings. UG gives THE worst numeric ratings when reviewing albums. I've seen SO many 10's and 9.x's it's absurd.
    lankeysob
    Generally to off set all of the lower scores we don't think it deserves. Nothing wrong with that at all.
    DWAUME
    That's completely wrong, and it ruins the voting system. The User Rating is supposed to be a composite of what everyone genuinely thinks, not a bunch of people gaming the system so the number ends up where they want it. Besides, the number will be weighted high anyway, because most people seek out reviews for albums they like, or think they'll like, not albums they don't like.
    Pactorn
    Silent Fight Parliament: 1:52-Telos chord reprise. 29-Astral Body lick reprise. 37-Lay your Ghosts breakdown reprise. 3:58-Telos crazy armonies reprise. 5:16-Astral Body climax reprise. 64-Extremophile Elite rhythm and riff reprise. 7:36-End of the mix of reprises. In short, this album is a 10!
    facebagel
    I think what they meant is the mentality is the same. Their sound is beautiful with clean precise technicality for days and genius as far as story telling goes. Yet I find myself being able to point out when a heavy part is coming or when its going to calm down. Although I absolutely love the insane time signatures and the goofy little marimba solos and 3/4 accordions (not to mention the ****ing surf theme in "Bloom" hahah), I know that those sections will most definitely be in the middle of a song somewhere on the album. That mindset is what I see as 'stagnant' and I say that with a wide open mind and loving accepting ears. This band constantly amazes me in terms of technicality but the point of Prog is to shed your skin every album. They just didn't shed enough in my opinion.
    Scourge441
    If those elements aren't used in new and interesting ways, then yeah, it's possible for them to stagnate. Having a lot of influences is not an excuse to not evolve.
    Waterboy799
    Except they have used new sounds and ideas in new ways on this album. I can understand someone disliking the band or this album in particular, but to call Btbam stagnant seems just plain wrong. That's just what I think.
    mr7string
    Lets be honest, BTBAM are one of the most diverse bands on the market, they could make copies of Colours for the rest of their days and it would less repetitive than 90% of metal music today.
    ChemicalFire
    6.7... Just proves how wrong the UG Team always seem to be. This album is the best example of BTBAM thus far, and if they think all the albums sound the same then they've probably not listened to the band before Colors...
    whywefight
    They did a great job reviewing colors. But seriously, this needs at least 2 more stars.
    Negativeone666
    The fact that neither review even mentions "Silent Flight Parliament" is kind of unbelievable.
    justinb904
    I mentioned all my favorites when I wrote my review a week and a half ago. Since then both Silent Flight Parliament and Telos I have come to appreciate more.
    MeGaDeth2314
    I personally think it is their best album yet. It clearly marks growth and maturity in their song writing, both musically and lyrically. And the production is more clear and balanced than any previous album. Just listen to any track from The Great Misdirect or even Parallax I with good headphones and then compare it to a track from Parallax II. The bass is more clear, the guitar and drums are well balanced, and the vocals come through brilliantly without having to fight to project over the instruments. This album reminds me of how I felt when The Great Misdirect first came out after Colors, except on a new scale now. Misdirect was a clear advancement in songwriting style from Colors; more mature, grand, theatrical, and an evolution in the BTBAM sound that can only be described as...well, the BTBAM sound. The Parallax II: Future Sequence completes this evolution. There is still very much of the unusual musical exploration and experimentation with different genres that has come to be expected with this band, but this time it is more refined and feels more purposeful with the themes of the album, rather than just being thrown in the songs for style. The dark subject matter of the concept of the album is perfectly portrayed through both the music and the lyrics, which makes the album more relateable and emotional than any of their previous releases. Musically, the band easily gives their best performances yet on this album. There are plenty of the epic, cascading guitar arpeggios, syncopated chugging riffs, catchy, jazzy bass lines, and virtuosic drum fills, but Tommy Rogers in particular really shines. His growling vocals are darker and more intense than any previous album, but also more controlled and rhythmically accurate. And he of course has plenty of beautiful melodies which are both melancholic and soaring at the same time. I feel like the emotional content of the lyrics, which is heavier than any lyrics they have previously written, allowed him to connect with the band more and deliver a more dynamic performance. To me, this album signifies the band reaching a point which they have been working towards since their first album. I don't know if that is true or not in their minds, but if you listen to their entire catalog, their evolution is clear and The Parallax II definitely feels like some sort of pinnacle. I'm not saying they won't get any better than this, but I know that in the future, I will always look back through their catalog and know that The Parallax II was where they first revealed their true selves.
    justlaxin73
    Great response, They were so close to "that" sound in the Great Misdirect but I feel like they finally put all the pieces together on this album.
    jamie_hough
    I personally dont think the UG reviewer is being particularly harsh. We live in a world where reviews seem to swing from very low to very high with no middle ground and its really odd. I mean this is basically a 7/10 - thats a damn good score and if I had made an album that was reviewed as such Id be well pleased. Reviewing is difficult and I can see why fans might get offended by this but put it in perspective - not everyone is a hardcore fan of the band and there needs to be an element of subjectivity for the review to be valid. Some guy up there ^ has said that the story of the album alone makes it deserve an 8 - that is insane and its this mentality that I think reviewers are trying to beak free from lately. 6.7 is probably a little harsh but not by much, and I for one will be glad to see more subjective reviews. I also like the addition of the video so theres something relevant to listen to whilst your reading - great idea.
    millarso
    The way I think about it is like I do in school. I consider 6.7 to be "meh" because in school that's just about failing. A 7 = C which is average in my book. A 9 is an A so that would be saved for the exceptional, but I see this album as a B which makes it near an 8. I agree that it doesn't deserve this for any one part of it, but this album is definitely creative and a fun listen through almost the entire album. That fact mixed with the absolute musicianship that these guys have warrants a B in my book. That aside, what you say is very true and a lot of reviewers really should take that into account more often. I usually give my favorite bands somewhere in the 7-8 range. It's only fair.
    ManInTheBox14
    "Reviewing is difficult" Well, that's where you're wrong.
    whywefight
    Not really. Led Zeppelin's first album was critically panned. Jamie-hough's right, this isn't a school grading system. A five is the average album, with a 7 probably enough to beat out the vast majority of the albums coming out the same week. 10's are given out too easily for other artists, as initial impressions can give higher scores for albums than they actually deserve, and eventually the albums lose influence. For BTBAM (and the previous mentioned Led Zep), low scores are often initially given, and with time, the scores raise, due to repeated listens and understanding of the music.
    ninjagayden777
    Not as impressed as I was when I first heard Colors, but this is faaaaar from a 6.7, guys. Solid 8 for me. (also, Telos is friggin'amazing)
    monkeyslapper
    6.7 for this album seems a bit hard to me... I can fully understand that, if you're not listening to this kind of music regularly, or, let me put it better, with passion, a record like this appears to be a mosaic of "cool riffs" and passages, that are chaotically thrown together. Apparently the author thinks that these mosaic parts are found on the record for the sole purpose of, well... being in the record. I can speak only for myself, but Future Sequence appeared to be their most mature output. This isn't a collage of random sounds, there's that golden thread (lyrically and musically) you can follow throughout the release, with reappearing structures, music and lyrics blend together very well. Again, this is my subjective impression. Have a good day
    markhimley
    I could not have said this better than myself. Good to know there are some true BTBAM fans still commenting on this site
    monkeyslapper
    I've seen them last friday in Cologne and am a bit disappointed because they played only 2 new songs: Astral Body and Telos. Was a great concert though... Also, when their set was finished and they got off stage, the venue started playing Queen's Bohemian Rhapsody. After 1:30 or so they entered the stage again and played the song from then on until the end. Just great! They ended with "Mordecai", which put a brilliant ending to a unforgettable night! Periphery, although I'm not a big fan at all and didn't even listen to a lot of their stuff, were good too. Cheers
    Sherlock_Bones
    6.7 is absoloutley criminal. To review this album, you need to understand it. Get a decent grasp of the whole concept, flick through the incredibly well illustrated album booklet; hell - smell it if you like (I have), before you give it an insultingly low score. The story itself is worth an 8 and that's before you factor in scope, ambition and musicality, which must all be there or thereabouts?
    Metorical
    This is definitely an album you have to listen to multiple times to fully get. It hasn't surpassed Colors for me, but it's still a damn good album
    Redfinton22
    I like your use of the word "hasn't" rather than "doesn't" (or "wont"). When TGM came out (and I think it's worth noting that TGM could probably have been their most eagerly anticipated album of all time, seeing how it's the first to come after the masterpiece that is Colors), I wasn't into it at first. I was thrown off by the apparent shift in focus from technicality to song arrangement. It didn't seem to match the shock value of the first impression of Colors. But three years later, I can actually say I enjoy listening to TGM more than Colors, and ironically it was this natural shift in focus by itself that brought about my change of taste in terms of their work. Moral of the story - BTBAM's shit WILL grow on you in some way. And it can take months; in my case, years. I think this is what makes it hard for me to believe that writing a review for Parallax II in its first week of being out is a very wise idea...purely my opinion, of course.
    Metorical
    I couldn't agree more. This review was definitely rushed, I'd be curious to see what the UG reviewer has to say about this album in 2 weeks.
    markhimley
    "Expansive, cinematic hybridity" "First attempt at a concept album" Had to stop after this because I really can't afford a new computer screen
    millarso
    Don't like the word hybridity?
    markhimley
    cinematic hybridity? The **** does that even mean in this context? lol and anybody who knows a single thing about any of their previous releases (besides Hypersleep) knows that this is NOT their first attempt at a concept album lmao
    Raven_Flight
    Wow, definitely surprised by the score. I can see why someone could rate it low though, at first listens I thought it was all the same than the previous records having only added new "weird influences" for when they dedice to stop with the chaotic metal sections. But after mentally laying down the song structures and listening more carefully, I feel it's different enough to Colors or TGM to say they are not stagnant.
    MT_Obsidian
    "Extremophile Elite" in and of itself proves that this album is better than a 6.7. Seriously.
    The Spoon
    I believe the UG review is referring to "Bloom"...not Blossom. I just got it and it took a few listens to click but I really like it. Amazing how much they've accomplished since Colors.
    shredder3386
    This album is amazing, cant stop listening to it. These guys have really brought it this time, and the returning motifs from their other albums were great.
    Redfinton22
    I like how you use the word 'hasn't' instead of 'doesn't', or 'won't'. When The Great Misdirect came out (which was probably more eagerly anticipated than almost any of their other albums seeing how it was the first record after Colors), it definitely threw me off for not being as technical and all over the place. Three years later and I can say I actually enjoy listening to it more than Colors. Moral of the story - BTBAM's shit definitely grows on you. Sometimes over a long period of time. And I think that's what makes it hard for me to believe trying to write a review Parallax II in the first week that it has been out is a very wise idea.
    cLarity-
    "Its strange to think that this is their first attempt at the concept album" Colors was a concept album.. Derp. I think this is their most coherent album, honestly. Most people seem to agree that this is BTBAM more refined. I like the big, grand cinematic feel to it as well. When it comes down to it, I guess you just need to be a BTBAM fan. And regardless of what people say, this is still better than 90% of any music released today.
    BuriedAlive7x
    GOODBYE TO EVERYTHING!!! I think that songs is brilliant, I love how it continues with Astral Body!
    vppark2
    How on earth do they get a partial tag as "metalcore"?
    Mahoru
    I don't get it either. They only had a slight metalcore influence on the first couple of albums. Ever since Alaska I haven't found a single metalcore element on their music (and it's not like there were many before, either).
    millarso
    You don't think they have any elements of metalcore? I definitely think they do (not as a bad thing though). Heavy, groovy riffing accompanied by screamed vocals. I wouldn't use this to describe them entirely by a long shot, but I think they use it a little bit.
    vppark2
    I guess. At the top where the genre are stated, they put it as "Experimental Metalcore"...while im still not sure what is meant by that, getting as to how ive never heard of it im taking a guess that theyre referring it to only progressive metal bands im assuming Protest The Hero and Periphery are also considered in this category.
    greenfighter479
    I don't the problem is that people think 7/10 is a bad score. I think the issue is that this is currently the lowest rated btbam album by quite a margin as all the others have ridiculously high scores when in my opinion it's probably their best release. If someone was to look at these reviews for am idea of what to listen to they would probably look past it.
    lankeysob
    Clearly the reviewer didn't give the album enough spins to fully digest the album, I probably would of said the same thing too after listening to it only once. Anyways, after around my 4th listen and everything started to make more sense I could easily see this as good of an album as colors or even superior in some sense.
    Vrstone87
    Personally...Alaska and Colors are still their best albums, the Great Misdirect being third
    LightxGrenade
    Ah BTBAM, even the album sampler is long as hell lol. So excited to grab this, BTBAM are one of the few bands that I'll purchase the music then hold off on listening until I have peace and quiet so I can plug in some headphones and truly appreciate every little nuance of the songs. Most times we purchase an album, listen to it on our phones or iPods or computers while doing other stuff, it's been a while since I've shut everything off and just focused on the music. Cant wait!
    Down
    I'm not entirely sure what the reviewer was smoking, but it clearly wasn't anything good. This album has a sound all its own. Sure, the original vein of technical metalcore flows through the music, but if that were gone, this wouldn't even be Between the Buried and Me anymore. Those who think this is the same old shit don't have much of an ear for music. Perhaps a band who "genre hops" on all their albums might seem like a repetitive formula, but it's a hell of a lot more creative than most bands out there. And the most important part of this band's particular style is that when they do bring a different sound into the fold, it is rarely exactly the same as what they've used on previous records. They've always worn their jazz influences on their sleeves, but this album features quite a few different melodies and scales pulled from world music that will probably go unnoticed by those who don't know what it is they're hearing and thus simply relate it to the closest thing they know (which could very well be something this band has done on previous records, thus provoking even more mistaken redundancy to said listeners). There's no denying they let loose and threw everything and the kitchen sink into this one, but to me not a single not feels out of place, even in the Zappa-esque what-the-****ery of "Bloom". Dan Briggs jammed with some heavy, well educated, and very intelligent players for Trioscapes, something he mentioned he was bringing to this record, and you can tell that their heads were definitely in an even more expansive place for this one. Frankly I'm sick of the same recycled shit that gets propagated by the radio and social media. Records like this are the antidote to that. Not enough bands are pushing the boundaries and trying to make something sound new, content to simply take the same chords their favourite band uses and write new lyrics over them. If these guys want to flex their musical muscles, let them. If you for some reason don't like it (or just don't "get it"), at the very least respect it and the fact that it inspires new generations to not settle for what's already out there, but to reach for the stars and conquer new worlds.
    whywefight
    Total bs that this is getting lower marks than their other albums. Time will tell how it'll fair in my eyes against their other albums, but so far it definitely doesn't seem to be any weaker than previous releases.
    ManInTheBox14
    I might be a little biased in that BTBAM is my favorite band, but this really is a 10/10 for me. It's not quite as good as Colors (nothing ever will be), and it'll take a few more listens for me to be as comfortable with it as TGM (considering I've heard that album probably around 100 times), but it's still really, really awesome. I think it's the strangest and most eclectic album they've ever done, and I'm really happy with it.
    DWAUME
    I really, really don't mean to be a dick, but if it's not as good as Colors, it can't also be a 10/10, or else your rating system is meaningless. I'm not saying anything bad about any BTBAM album, but your rating system is meaningless if you consider one album better than another, but they have the same score.
    rapprocka1017
    I personally think it's their best album to date. The more I listen to it, the more I love it. That's how it topped Colors in my eyes. I'll give it a solid 9/10!
    shelovemyguitar
    This album is good, but imo Colors, Alaska, The Silent Circus and Self Titled are way better then their last work.
    bdof
    Yup, just listened to most of it at work with an open mind..... Yup, still hate BTBAM..... They're prob the most talented overall band I've ever listened to, with some massive variety of influences and constant tempo changing structures.....but that doesn't still make it sound like absolute dogshit to my ears. BTBAM is to Metal what The Big Bang Theory is to sitcoms: Nerdy "look at me, I'm so unique.....and so will you if you relate to me" horsecrap. I really, REALLY want to like this stuff, but I just can't and, sadly, probably never will.
    lankeysob
    That's fine, not everyone is into BTBAM. At least you gave it a try and admit they are all skilled musicians unlike some people.
    EyesWideOpen
    I'm exactly the same. I know that they are incredibly talanted. Every one of them. I just can't just into their music though. Which is strange because I love indulgent technical music and prog. Shame.
    vppark2
    im not the biggest fan myself, so it surprised me that i actually really liked this album...
    millarso
    That is definitely true. Hope I didn't sound insulting, haha. The wording is pretty over-the-top.
    millarso
    Oops. This is in reply to markhimley. Stupid new features.
    markhimley
    Nah you're good, I actually think I came off a little harsh as well looking back at it. I've accepted that I definitely have become one of those people who love BTBAM so much that it actually makes me mad to read reviews like this! I know it's stupid, and it doesn't make sense, but it's just the way I am about this band. But having said this...6.7, for REAL? Come on man. I could certainly see 7.7 but 6.7 just feels too low for this record.
    millarso
    Definitely agreed with you there. The review seems to talk really nicely about the album, but the score itself doesn't reflect that as much. Seems strange.
    fffreak007
    All I know I've never really heard anything like this before. I mean it obviously sounds similar to their other stuff but come on. There arent really a lot of bands out there doing what their doing. They always manage to make themselves stand out from the other metal bands out there. I think this album deserves a solid 8 and I've been listening to them since their self titled album. They keep growing unlike a lot of other bands. They will always surprise me.
    Mahoru
    Surprised to see that score. But well, scores are just numbers, it shouldn't detract anyone from checking the album out. I need a few more listens yet, but for now, in my opinion, this is almost just as good as Colors. They're one of the freshest and most original sounding metal bands nowadays, they're technically brilliant and the production on the album is flawless. What's not to like there? Musically-wise, sure it's complex and dense, but that's part of what make the unique. For me, a well deserved 9.5/10. I don't have any complaint about how the album turned out, and after 6 full albums and an EP they still manage to surprise me. Way to go, guys!
    Dextermaniac
    Just saw them yesterday night here in Amsterdam for the third time, ****ing awesome as always. Haven't heard the new album tho, except for the previously release singles, those we're kinda nice
    Patrijz
    I was there as well... Great live band! I totally love this album, especially Lay Your Ghosts To Rest and Telos. I love the way all songs are build/written, which is (imo) a lot better then their older work, I can clearly hear progression.
    lars17
    they gave it a shitty rating cuz none of them could ever dream of being that good. BTBAM is one spectacular band nad they never disappoint.
    YouGetALifetime
    This album is a solid 8 at least. LOL UG reviews, who cares about them? most review sites are giving this album a 9 or a perfect 10. Giving this a 6.7 is just an insult considering UGTEAM gave Muse's new album (The 2nd Law) an 8 LOL, probably their worst and cheesiest album ever imo. Also its impossible to find a genre for this band but i think it should be Progressive Death Metal/Progressive Metal/ Progressive Metalcore. Thats juts my opinion. UG reviewers should appreciate the effort, time, uniqueness, originality, skills, musicianship and structure of this album. Maybe theyre just too into 4/4 bars, and verse/chorus/bridge/chorus songs. I would give this album a solid 8.5, just because the lyrics/content are a little hard to follow for me, but I kinda get the story.
    iktpq666
    as if these guys don't consume massive amounts of psychedelic drugs. i mean, seriously. bloom...
    death4077
    They are actually straight edge vegans.
    a drummer
    honestly i always wonder that myself, i feel like a lot, like alot of Tommy's lyrics refer to good ol' LSD experiences... but apparently they really are straight edge. I've also read Blake isn't a vegan either
    sk84uhlivin
    Everyone in the band is either vegetarian or vegan except for Blake. I know Dusty is vegetarian, and Dan is vegan.
    bdof
    HAHAHAHA!!!! I love the btbam fanboys crying about the score, lol. Haven't heard it yet. So I'll reserve my judgement and not rely on UG's scoring system based on what 1 writer thinks.
    Divinephyton
    All you whiners complaining about how BTBAM are awesome because they don't write in verse/chorus/bridge/chorus songs and then complain about "metal elitists" because we don't consider them metal, or death metal, or complain about the shitty quality of the screamed vocals; don't you see that you're being elitist yourself? Standard songs provide efficiency to the music and it can be quite hard to compose a good personal song withing a set formula. One could by the way just as easily typify BTBAM's music as soft - mellow - loud - soft - mellow - loud or whatnot and consider that formulaic, saying just as little. Look my point is, writing outside of a given formula can be hard; especially without sounding convoluted, ostentatious, pretentious or meandering. But in concise language the master reveals himself. UG Team wrote an ok review, though the 'low' score did surprise me after reading; it did provide a better context than all 10's or 9's. Quit whining about the scores without reading the review.
    Anessa_
    BTBAM are one of my favorite metal bands these days, but I see what you are saying and I can agree in some aspects. They are plenty of other bands out there, many not even metal, that do the same thing as BTBAM does, but in a far shorter and much more "concise" manner than BTBAM. As you said, yes it can be hard to do, but its not impossible to write outside of a set formula; nor is it really unnecessary. I see what you're saying, however, that is one of things I enjoy about BTBAM. My other question to you is, and I don't know if you were referring to yourself or not, but do you really not consider BTBAM metal? Death Metal definitely not, but not any kind of metal?
    Divinephyton
    I tried to downplay the issue of or how 'metal' they are. It doesn't really matter all that much to me; I just wanted to make an apparently unpopular point about 'zOMG they are so much more complex, deep and hard working than everybody and everything else!! Everybody should have their tongues up their buttholes in mad respect forever! Nobody hold back or we'll totally intellectually bitchslap you! Just listen to the music, it speaks for itself and if you don't see the amazing complexity, deepness and hard work ergo superiority you are broken .' (True story) But yea, to answer your question I personally feel that where they're coming from is metalcore (especially considering the vocals and Prayer for Cleansing) and then adding progressiveness and experimental. The progressive aspect makes that this whole issue is of lesser interest to me though, because to me it's the progressiveness that has come to typify the vibe I get from the music, not the 'metal' or 'metalcore' of it. I feel I've said enough about labels and genres now, I'm not a big fan of this whole 'Is X metal or not?' And 'how metal is X' shtick.
    Anessa_
    Not the best, but a cool album. The reviewer made some good points and so have some of the other members on here when saying that the band is starting to sound more repetitive or at the very least formulaic. I agree with that even if I do really enjoy the music these guys come out with.
    EyesWideOpen
    I hate to use this term but damn a lot of fanboys are angry here. I thought the review was very well written. It's the guys opinion. You don't have to agree with it. Of course you don't but it's wrong to just come out and insult the guy or all out call him wrong I think.
    eetfuk58
    UG is actually run by Beiber fans, haven't you figured this out by now? You should all stop being surprised at the low score they gave this album
    swave75
    This sounds pretty cool. Never heard of them before but then again I'm old.
    Municipal Waste
    Lot's of bruised posteriors in this thread over a score that's still better than what the album deserves. BTBAM are very generic for metal these days. How many bands have the screamed verse paired with a crooned chorus? I would have given the album a much lower score. They are good at what they do, but what they do sucks in my opinion.
    The Spoon
    I'm not criticizing you became I like BTBAM and you don't, but if you think their music comes down to being screamed verses and sung choruses, then I think it's safe to say you haven't given them a thorough enough listen to form an informative opinion.
    death4077
    If all generic metal sounded like BTBAM I'd be extremely happy. But unfortunately most generic metal bands have neither the technical abilities of BTBAM nor do they have the progressive style that keeps BTBAM interesting. To call them generic is just an ignorant statement.
    markhimley
    BTBAM don't write v/c songs. Most of their music is through composed. What's YOUR idea of a metal band that's not "generic"?
    millarso
    If you just don't like the idea of what they do, it's not really fair to be saying "what the album deserves". You can have your opinion on the style, but someone who doesn't like this type of music at all hardly has the right to be deciding what its merit is.
    Municipal Waste
    So, in the same sentence you say I can have my opinion, but don't have the right to be deciding its merit because I don't like the style? That's called cognitive dissonance friend. I'm either entitled to think what I want, or I'm not. Turn about is fair play, so how's this? I just got my preorder of the new Malignancy album on Tuesday called Eugenics. Thought it was bad ass. Give it a spin, and then feel free to make your own review and drop a large chocolate log slathered in duck butter all over it. You won't see me commenting on it calling your opinion ignorant (like death4077 did above you), or telling you that you don't have the right to say something because you don't like the genre. I don't even know what genre to put them in. When I went to the metal-archives they weren't listed. Probably because they aren't metal enough. Wiki says they're progressive/technical/experimental death metal. It may be progressive and experimental but it isn't death metal. This is something you won't be listening to in 10 years. Guaranteed. Now, I'm off to turn off my email notification of follow-up comments because you fan boys are too much.
    millarso
    Sheesh, settle down. I wasn't insulting your opinion. I was merely stating that if you have a bias against this type of music, you shouldn't be the one to determine its rating. Why? Because you aren't the type who has an expanded knowledge of the genre that they fit in. You don't know their contemporaries well enough to evaluate them against those who play a similar music style. I'm not even a fanboy, I just enjoy a casual listen to these guys every once and awhile. You shouldn't lecture on cognitive dissonance when you claim to not dump on others' opinions and then declare that this music won't be listened to in 10 years. I could be a jerk and tell you all of the reasons that I hate death metal, but I don't care nearly enough to do so because everyone has their own preferences.
    mferguso88
    You can have your opinion, but it is my opinion to say that your opinion is wrong. To say BTBAM is generic demonstrates mind blowing ignorance, even more so than the UG Reviewers and their criminal score. You can say you don't like BTBAM, but to say that they are not innovative and that they are stagnant is an insanely dumb comment. Give your head a shake
    ManInTheBox14
    If you don't think BTBAM is death metal, or metal in general, and if you think that they're generic and write verse-chorus songs, you clearly haven't listened to them.
    Scourge441
    BTBAM is quite clearly not death metal in the least bit. Are you one of those types who thinks all bands with screaming vocals are death metal? Because there is not a single death metal riff on any BTBAM album.
    death4077
    I would disagree a bit with this, their first album can sound very death metalish at times and there are quite a few chugging riffs that would fit nicely alongside any stereotypical death metal album. Are they death metal? No, but they do clearly have that genre as an influence
    ManInTheBox14
    Another comment from someone who seems to have never listened to BTBAM. And if you actually have heard them, then I feel sorry for you for your close minded view of death metal.
    Scourge441
    Have you ever listened to a death metal band? I'm looking at your list of favorite bands on your profile, and the only bands with harsh vocals I see are Opeth and Meshuggah. Please go give a listen to Morbid Angel. Or Suffocation. Or Pestilence. Or Dismember. Get an idea what death metal actually sounds like, and then compare that to BTBAM's metal riffs. I've listened to plenty of BTBAM and they're most definitely not a death metal band.
    ManInTheBox14
    I've listened to plenty of death metal. The simple fact is, most of it bores the hell out of me. I love BTBAM (who IS death metal), I love Opeth (whom I've seen live twice), and I enjoy Meshuggah, Gojira, The Faceless, and Death, and some others, if you consider those death metal. I've heard the bands you listed, and I find them same-y and musically unstimulating.
    Scourge441
    Whether you enjoy them is irrelevant, because the point was that BTBAM do not sound like those bands. BTBAM do not write or play death metal riffs. Morbid Angel and Suffocation do. This makes Morbid Angel and Suffocation death metal, while BTBAM are prog/metalcore. If BTBAM played death metal riffs, they would be death metal. But, they don't, so they're not.
    ManInTheBox14
    I find it hilarious how narrow your definition of death metal is.
    Scourge441
    You seem to think that I'm insulting BTBAM by calling them a metalcore band. I'm not. Genres are merely categorizations, not badges of honor. Calling BTBAM a metalcore band is not an indictment of their quality. BTW, the only death metal bands you mentioned earlier were Death and The Faceless (and The Faceless aren't even really death metal anymore). You should probably examine the genre a bit more if we're going to continue this discussion.
    ManInTheBox14
    I actually enjoy some metalcore, and I think some of BTBAM's stuff could indeed be called metalcore. As a whole, though, they are a death metal band, though maybe not fitting to your very traditional definition of DM. And if you don't think Opeth (well, pre-Heritage) is death metal... Well, that's just silly.
    Scourge441
    I think you just need more experience with death metal, and possibly with metalcore/hardcore too. I probably exaggerated when I said "BTBAM have never played a death metal riff" but I assure you that exploring both genres more in-depth will change your mind. Not that it really matters for the argument's sake, but if you search the forums, you'll find the BTBAM thread in the hardcore forum (where the metalcore bands are discussed) instead of the metal forum. So the UG community as a whole also classified BTBAM as metalcore. As far as Opeth, I like the term "extreme progressive metal" for them. They certainly have their death metal moments (the intro riff to Master's Apprentices sticks out), but even a lot of their heavier moments are more rooted in prog than death metal. "Extreme prog metal" implies that the root of the music is in prog while still making it clear that death/black metal is still a major part of the sound. (If you don't believe me on that one, take a few weeks and listen to a bunch of classic prog/psychedelic rock albums, and then go listen to Opeth. You'll hear it everywhere , particularly in the full-chord riffs.)
    ManInTheBox14
    I just think it's silly to classify a band as death metal or not based on whether their riffs are low, chugging, palm muted notes and power chords. To me, there's a LOT more to death metal than that.
    Scourge441
    It's more than that, though. I'd argue that the melodic content matters more than the chugging and power chords. And while there's certainly a variety of different styles of death metal riffs (Suffocation's riffs are different from Dismember's which are different from Immolation's which are different than Deicide's), most of BTBAM's riffs don't fit that context. For example, I'm listening to Astral Body right now and most of these riffs could have been ripped from Dream Theater. Or take the first half or so of Mordecai, which certainly has some death metal in it, but also has some DEP/Converge. There certainly is more to death metal than the riffs, but you have to have the riffs for it to be death metal. A lot of the other common elements are more fungible.
    ManInTheBox14
    I definitely see what you're saying, and you make a good point. Lots of BTBAM's music is such that it doesn't quite fit the classic idea of DM. You obviously know your stuff on death metal (admittedly quite a bit more than me), and although you still won't change my view of BTBAM being death metal, this has been one of the more fun music related arguments I've had in a while. I honestly don't think I have much left I can say, so I concede to thee, sir. Props.
    Scourge441
    It's been a while since I had a genre debate that was carried out with intelligence instead of flames and whining. Props to you, sir.
    Metalxorxdie
    not trying to be a prick or anything, but BTBAM only incorporates some death metalish riffs in their music... they are definitely a progressive metalcore band (more progressive than anything)..,and the only death metal bands you've listed are Death (that's just obvious haha), the Faceless and Opeth, but they are more progressive death metal....Suffocation and old Morbid Angel would definitely be great examples of death metal bands with killer death metal riffs
    lankeysob
    LOL you just simply don't know what you are talking about. See you later, no one is going to miss you here.
    tancrackers
    "but what they do sucks in my opinion" So you're not a fan of the genre? Don't comment with stupidity. If you're not gonna be unbiased, don't ****in' give your opinion.
    travislausch
    6.7 is not THAT bad of a score. Also this album does come off as a bit excessive and at times, sounds too "BTBAM-ish". Not that it's a bad thing, but it's hardly an innovative record for them. Still a good record I'll spin many times, but 6.7/10 is a fair enough score.