Sanguine [EP] Review

Beyond Broken: Sanguine [EP]
Released: Aug 31, 2013
Genre: Metalcore, Deathcore
Label: Self-released
This is a great metalcore EP. I wouldn't recommend this album to someone who's into the lighter stuff, but if you enjoy metalcore music and abundant screaming this is for you.
 6.9
 8.7
review (1) pictures (1) user comments vote for this album:
Sanguine [EP] Reviewed by: UG Team, on september 19, 2013

Sound: Beyond Broken is a metalcore/deathcore band hailing from Huddersfield UK. What stands out most about them to me is their use of melody, and James' improved clean vocals. This EP is overall, their first big effort as a band. I believe that they have improved since the release of their first single "Sanguine." I noticed a difference in the production quality as well. The EP sounds more professional and well put-together than earlier releases. The songs included are re-recorded versions of "Sanguine" and "Nox Aeterna." The EP also includes a brand new track called "Echoes" which serves as an intro to "Nox Aeterna." I am a fan of Sam's placement of his leads over Chris' rhythm sections. // 8

Lyrics: The lyrics varied in meaning. "Sanguine" is about eating a person for the first time and getting your friends to join you. I believe "Nox Aeterna" to be about being trapped by yourself. You want to escape the nightmare you've created for yourself but you can't. I've been a fan of James' singing (and Sam's playing) since I found him on YouTube. He started off doing covers of Asking Alexandria songs and has grown up so much since then. He uses a good balance of highs and lows in his songs, but what struck me the most was his improved clean vocals. // 9

Overall Impression: This is a great metalcore EP. My recommendation is that Sumerian or Fearless Records gets a hold of them. The most impressive songs have to be "Sanguine" and "Echoes." I love how the guitars and the bass seem to blend together as one, held together by the well executed drumming. I wouldn't recommend this album to someone who's into the lighter stuff, but if you enjoy metalcore music and abundant screaming this is for you. I hope you enjoy it as much as I did. If this record were stolen again, I would contribute the money to by another one. // 9

Comments