Blackened Sky review by Biffy Clyro

• Released: Mar 10, 2002
Biffy Clyro: Blackened Sky

Fast, ever changing riffs backed by a proper bassline (by proper, I mean the bassist aint just repeating the guitar chords, it adds something other than a sound level) and a complex set of drumming (bout as far as you can get from Meg White). Haunting echoe vocals. The tome ranges from a twangy Fender Strat solos focusing on a deep evoking grunge chord. Joy, Discovery and Invention ultimatly sums this tone up. No it doesnt sound to tasty on paper but beleive me it works.

Gonna punish Simon for his screaming (he shuldn't scream) here but a damn good voice with a range that I envy. The vocals are cryptic and sometimes a bit nonsensical but hey, when does music needa good point. Imagery is the name of the games wth lots of 'love lost' and you feel the pain and broken promises. His and the other band members vocals mesh effortlessly with the music as if another musical instrument. They find the time to put a acapella track (having had the album for ages now I tend to skip this one to be honest but its a refreshing thing to be put on an album of this genre).

This was the first album in a long time to send shivers down my neck and leave me tingling. It is a devestating album that you instantly connect to and has since then caused me to get all their subsequent work. Work by a triplet of geniuses (if I had a wee bit of that talent). It's musical, lyrical and above all enjoyable to listen to. No other band can fill the space that I have for the Biffy. Get the album and join the legion of fans. Mon the Biffy? To damn right.