Infinity Land review by Biffy Clyro

• Released: Oct 3, 2004
Biffy Clyro: Infinity Land

This album is a massive step forward from their previous two efforts (which I still enjoy listening to from time to time). Blackened Sky, and Vertigo of Bliss. Vertigo of Bliss especially followed the Nirvana formula "quiet verse loud chorus" and this got quite tedious. I only found myself really enjoying 'Joy.Discovery.Invention' 'Justboy' and '57.' This album takes these style songs but moves them forward in a way that only Biffy can (crazy dynamics and time signature changes). Simon also utilises heavy distortion on this record, but it is more effective and scarce than the other albums.

These lyrics are some of the best that I have ever heard. The lyrics on especially the first record were fairly generic, but frontman Simon Neil really manages to put a lot of emotion across (almost definetly spurred on by the death of his mother) and the lyrics range from beautiful imagery, to bizarre similes and situations. Simon Neil only really sings his heart out on "The Atrocity," a song that still moves me after 3 years of listening to it, but his skills as a singer are undeniable. James and Ben Johnston also add backing vocals, but you need to see them live to appreciate who is singing which parts.

Biffy have succesfully taken their earlier influences (Nirvana, Weezer, Fugazi) and moulded their own sound, that a Biffy fan will always recognise. Most impressive songs are "Glitter and Trauma" "Some Kind Of Wizard" and "There's No Such Thing As A Jaggy Snake." I love all but one of the tracks. "Only one word comes to mind" bores me to tears. I don't mind quieter songs, but I think that this one should not have been included as there are stronger B-sides. If this album were lost/stolen, I would rush out and buy it again. One of my favourite albums, and head and shoulders above their previous records.

Fly-swatter
    Some kind of wizard is ****ing outstanding! so is there's no such things as a jaggy snake.
    Thom Yorke
    The thing with Biffy Clyro is that once you really listen properly to them you're hooked. THIS BAND WILL CHANGE YOUR LIFE!
    illmatic182
    yeh, funny how that moniker was given to them based on their most unbiffy and least good album!