Only Revolutions review by Biffy Clyro

• Released: Nov 9, 2009
Biffy Clyro: Only Revolutions

Just picked up my advanced copy of Only Revolutions by Biffy Clyro. The sound on this album is much the same as the album which immediately preceeded it, that would be 2007's Puzzle. Biffy have played it safe and done nothing that will anger their current fans, however they have not done much-other than the powerful lead single 'That Golden Rule'-to bring in the new ones. Continuing in the image of 'Puzzle'; 'Revolutions' is a much more polished affair than anything that preceeded 'Puzzle'. The guitar playing should serve to please any fans of the genre and provide many hours of fun attempting to learn. The rythym section is as steady and solid as you would expect and Simon neil's vocals continue to improve with time. The sound at times is much more dramatic such as the closing of 'That Golden Rule' or closer Whorses but as previously stated their is not much more of a stray from the norm.

The lyrics on this album are at times innovative and emotional, occasionally humorous and rarely dull. I feel I must point out that people however should expect as amny heart-wrenching personal lyrics as previous albums. This is overall a much lighter and fluffier affair than some of their previous efforts. The lyrics fit's in perfectly with the music most of the time, however whenever I listen to 'The Captain' I'm left feeling it would have been much more appropriate over some epic muse style riffage but maybe that's just me!

Overall revolutions is a typically great piece of work from the Scottish Trio. Rarely a dull moment on this album other than the fourth track God and Satan which could be used as a cure for sleep deprivation, however I think this album will be pleasing to both long serving Biffy fans and newer comers. I see Revolutions sprouting four or five singles and should definetly be a chart topper. Mon the biffy!

flxz
    Awesome album. I wish they would've sticked with the heavier songwriting, but damn this style suits them well, too!
    Fera_rawr
    God & Satan is amazing take that cheeky comment at the end back!!! I feel mountains is the weakest song there and Sky Demons (Bonus track) is amazing. Love this new style it's a little bit of old biffy a litlle bit of puzzle era bify and something else with just about every song having an epic chorus and outro.
    Dudeman5000
    Born on a Horse. Probably one of their best songs lol! Definately up there with 57 anf Jaggy snake!
    Shoegaze
    My girlfriend sold this book to one of the band members at the Waterstone's she works in... Hmm...
    -sparkrock101-
    I miss the old Biffy . This album is ok but nothing like vertigo of bliss or even puzzle. Hoping it will grow on me...
    thedefrockednun
    I love all Biffy, old and new (though I must admit to have discovered them after releasing Puzzle). The best songs on the album are: Mountains, That Golden Rule, Bubbles, Shock Shock.... still need to listen to some more....