Only Revolutions review by Biffy Clyro

• Released: Nov 9, 2009
Biffy Clyro: Only Revolutions

I've been a fan of Biffy Clyro ever since my eldest brother brought home both Blackened Sky and The Vertigo Of Bliss when I was around 11 maybe 12. I have to say both of the albums blew my mind although I have never been much of a fan of Simon's screaming. They almost instantly became my favourite band. I was disappointed with Infinity Land and remains to this day my least favourite Biffy album with Puzzle not far behind. Only Revolutions is Biffy Clyro back-tracking and writing the best record since Vertigo, they have very nearly regained their epic original style. When I first heard the song Mountains (unknown that it would be on the album) I wasn't too impressed, I didn't hear anything that stood out from the song, but as I heard it more I began to love every second, the piano intro is truly beautiful and Simon's voice is perfect. Again the same thing happened when I first heard That Golden Rule, I wasn't impressed and had a bad feeling about the upcoming album, but as I listened to it again I heard much more, it was so original and unique, I began to love it, especially the build up/second half of the song, I can't help myself but to bob my head and sing to the excellent choice of time signatures which Biffy seem to have a perfect ear for. The same thing Happened with The Captain but again I love it now. So many people have begun to hate Biffy Clyro for becoming famous but they seriously deserve it and more. I personally pre-ordered one of 2000 limited edition Only Revolutions boxsets and the day it came I was shaking with excitment, partly because I wasn't expecting it to come until the album was actually released. I put the 12" vinyl into my record player and cranked up the volume. Perfect, the riffs are excellent and so very much Biffy Clyro.

The lyrics are almost perfect, the vocals on Bubbles, God And Satan, Booooom, Blast And Ruin, Many Of Horror and Know Your Quarry are breathtaking with Bubbles almost bringing me to tears and sending shivers down my spine every time I listen to it. Simon's lyrical fassion has certainly progressed and changed since Blackened Sky but I absolutely love it all the same. Ben and James' Singing is still perfect and every word they sing fits perfectly with the music. The only thing I would object to about the lyrics is the verses of Cloud Of Stink, Simon sings far too high for his own good and brings the song down just a little bit but the song is still epic although being my least favourite of the album. The trio's voices are a perfect compliment to each other and their music.

I love this album, it is everything I needed to hear from Biffy as they're my favourite band by far and since owning the new album I have nothing else on my MP3 player except from their entire repertoire. Every album, and almost every B-side, if only I had them all. MY favourite songs on this album are by far Bubbles, That Golden Rule, Many Of Horror and Know Your Quarry. For anyone that started with Puzzle take a listen to this album and love every second, it is their original style with new songs and better recording. Possibly my second favourite Biffy album so far behind Vertigo of Bliss. I love Simon's voice and passion for his music, it fits perfectly and he almost never writes anything he can't quite handle. If I ever lost this album or it was stolen I would actually cry, The boxset means too much to me and would be irriplaceable. I would by this album a hundred times over, it's pure genius.