Puzzle review by Biffy Clyro

• Released: Jun 4, 2007
Biffy Clyro: Puzzle

The change into the more meaningful and heart wrenched story begins now with Puzzle. The trio have definately major heights for which I think they have comfortably reached. Songs such as "A Whole Child Ago" and "Get F***ed Stud" which portrays a very crazy and amazing time signiture. The emotion that the lead singer gives through the songs defintaely pushes the songs a step further and makes them more effective to listen to. The song "Who's Gotta Match" reminds me of an old Foo Fighters song which I hope doesn't insult some hardcore BC fans.

The lyrics are brilliantly put across both individually and with the music. Some lyrics that I come across though are really hard to get around and realise what they actually mean, But with a few listens back an forth you eventually get the interpretation of it. The lyrics are written to portray a despressive state of mind that the singer was in when the album was written due to the death of one of his family members.

My overall impression of the album is brilliant! The album does'nt dissapoint in the least and if I lost this copy I have I would definately buy a another one. It stands as one of the best albums of 2007 for me, if not the best. The songs that really stand out ofr me are "Saturday Superhouse", "Get F--ked Stud" and "A Whole Child Ago" These tracks have al the feelings and wierd time signitures you can get. They're also great songs to skank out to.

baboonbass
    i have not stopped playing this album, i personally think they have put alot of time and effort into this album, MON THE BIFFY !
    USCENDONE BENE
    i heard three tracks from this album before i bought it, which i must say were all fantastic. The rest of the album is a bit of a let down unfortunately, as none of the other songs can match Saturday Superhouse, Semi Mental, and LIAPBED
    gregorisgod
    Am I the only person who finds this album to be awfully pompous, and rather dissapointing compared to their old stuff? They've softened down and lost their edge. =/
    Thom Yorke
    I think this album is amazing but I can see why some of you think it's a bit soft. I think that it's just a bit more mature and a bit different. You can't blame them for trying to change it a bit though. This is make or break time for them really. Love the band and the album is their best yet, even better than Blackened Sky.
    creepingjesus73
    I just bought this last week, partly to break my QOTSA habit, partly because I've heard a few of their gigs on local radio (esp the one a coupla years back from the Rothes Halls that was on Forth 1 (i think) which was killer), and partly 'cos LIAPBED was BBC's featured track on their T in the Park coverage. I'd meant to get around to buying their stuff for ages...lol So imagine my surprise on opening the cd case to find "orchestrations by Graeme Revell" What, the guy who did 'The Crow'? I thinks to myself. Hmmm... I'm not a big fan of rock bands and orchestras co-habiting, but this is one of the outstanding features of Puzzle! How dark and heavy is 9/15ths? Quality... The dark lyrics strike a chord (ho ho ho) with me, having lost my dad only a coupla weeks ago. Just wish I could write some that good! The various detunings really make Simon Neil's strat chug nicely, and the bass + drums are as tight as anyone could hope for. Sonically, lyrically, and orchestrally it's a 10 out of 10, but...I can't help but feel it just underperforms a little overall. 8 out of 10. Now let me put The Conversation Is... on again! TC all.