Puzzle review by Biffy Clyro

• Released: Jun 4, 2007
Biffy Clyro: Puzzle

Biffy Clyro, were to start? The band from Ayreshire with drummer and bassist brothers James and Ben Johnston and guitarist/frontman Simon Neil have a made a record they should be proud of, but also be cautious with. The album's forerunners (Vertigo of Bliss, Blackened Sky and Infinity Land) were adventurous, angst filled records with intelligent lyrics, padded out with and a violent and yet stangely beutiful guitar attack. However this new record is somewhat of a breakthrough into the mainstream of british music, has to say the new record has a more deft touch to it. There are some moments of heavy agressiveness on Living is a Problem because Everything Dies and Semi-Mental there are more songs that are more radio friendly. Songs such as "Folding Stars" and "Machines" show Simon Neil's other side as a song writer.

Simon Neil again shines through with his lyrical ability. The loss of his mother still plagues him ("I'd look in the mirror and be angry because I look like her") and this comes through in "Folding Stars" and "Machines" although these softer songs (these songs are softer in a instrumental sense not a lyrical one) are about his mother other songs like Living Is A Problem are also about her. Other songs such as "semi-mental" tackle depression. The standout lyrics on this album are from "Now I'm Everyone", "Living Is A Problem" and "A Whole Child Ago". My Favourite lyric on the album on the album is "now I'm everyone it's less than iv'e ever been."

I wrote earlier that the band should be cautious this is because they have made a great album but it's problem is it's radio friendliness. At this years reading festival Biffy Clyro Played 11 songs, 8 of these were from Puzzle. This album will be their most popular but will not be the fan favourite. If they persist to play that number of songs from Puzzle they will gain a lot more fans but will lose the true fans. I not saying they have sold out but they should be wary. Overall this is a great record with many standout moments but if they continue to overplay these songs live there great legacy will be lost.