Puzzle review by Biffy Clyro

• Released: Jun 4, 2007
Biffy Clyro: Puzzle

Biffy Clyro released their fourth album entitled 'Puzzle' through 14th Floor on the 4th of June, 2007. It was produced by Garth Richardson, mixed by Andy Wallace in New York, and mastered by Howie Weinberg at Masterdisk. The opening track 'living is a problem because everything dies' is an absolutly incredible opening song to any album. Then 'saturday Superhouse' and 'as dust dances' sounds a bit more like the old Biffy Clyro we've all come to know and love. A whole child ago is very (dare I say it) powerpop while songs like semi-mental and get f--ked stud are two of the more rocking songs on the album, that brings us up to the final three songs and they include 'Folding stars' and 'Machines' which are two of the albums highlights.

Lyrically, Biffy Clyro have always had unusual lyrics in their songs and this album is no different. "Which one of the witches do you belong? The one with the eyepatch or the one that's highly strung, I know you can't trust anyone". But that's what I've always loved about this band and makes them stand out from the rest.

This is a great release by Biffy Clyro and they deserve the success it has brought them. If you've never liked them before or even if you haven't heard of them until now, check out the following songs and see what you think then: Saturday Superhouse, Semi-Mental, Machines. Fun fact: tracks 4 & 8 have little compositions at the end of each song that join with track 12 to create a completely new song, if that's not art, I don't know what is!

chinesechipmunk
    This album was...depressing. I heard the first two tracks on the TV and loved them. Bought the album with high expectations. I've yet to find a remotely interesting song beyond tracks 1 & 2.
    sevenchurches
    I was really dissapointed. It wasn't depressing, or whatever people are saying now to make it sound negative...it was just boring. I have Infinity Land and Blackened Sky, both absolutely brilliant albums. The lyrics were perhaps more thought out, but more confined and not as explorative or metaphorical as Infinity Land.
    Skirvy
    to mon_the_fraser: regarding biffy losing there true fans, Simon Neil is a down to earth intelligent guy so i doubt he would ever let that happen.
    Thom Yorke
    Thom Yorke wrote: I think this album is amazing but I can see why some of you think it's a bit soft. I think that it's just a bit more mature and a bit different. You can't blame them for trying to change it a bit though. This is make or break time for them really. Love the band and the album is their best yet, even better than Blackened Sky.
    Sorry that should be it's not their best yet, perhaps better than Blackened Sky. Maybe I was a bit more taken with it at the time or just wasn't paying attention
    potty_pete24
    i was in the pub last the other week and in walked biffy clyro,its good to know after all the success they have had that they still drink in the same bars they did before they were famous good old fanny by gaslights!! They have worked very hard and deserve all the success in the world. MON THE BIFFY!