Puzzle review by Biffy Clyro

• Released: Jun 4, 2007
Biffy Clyro: Puzzle

No matter how much I listen to the Biffy, I can never get bored of them. This three piece from Ayrshire really shine more and more with all their albums, interweaving complex melodies with off the wall riffs and electric vocals. For me, this album 'Puzzle' is Biffy at their finest. From the first whisper of a sound in 'Living is a problen because everything dies' to the final ring of the last chord in 'Machines' this album is a powerhouse of Scottish modern rock. The rumble of guitar in Semi-mental harking back to a more refined and celtic version of Nirvana's early tracks such as 'Scoff', the tender quality of songs such as 'Folding Stars' showing a side of the band that no amount of down tuning or heavy vocals could ever convey with such conviction, the production of this CD is simply awesome, the tone of the guitars, the snap of the snare, the rumble of the bass all working harmoniously to make the sound in this record deserve an emphatic ten out of ten.

The lyrics come off from Biffy sometimes as non-sensical. Perhaps this is a fair assumption, but I feel that the lyrics in this album, whether they make sense or not, compliment the music perfectly. Talking about setting midgets on fire in 'Who's got a match' has never been so catchy. In 'Now I'm everyone' the lyrics show a more downbeat sense, simply another weapon in the Biffy's mighty arsenal of Rock artillery. I give the lyrics nine out of ten, losing a point simply because I don't want it to seem like I'm too up their arses.

I have always likened Biffy to bands such as Nirvana, Metallica, and at points even Smashing Pumpkins. A wonderful blend if you ask me. These influences come out in the boom of the open stringed, tuned down guitar, the steady rock of the drums, reminiscent to me of Jimmy Chaimberlain, and the bass which can only be described as amazing. Each part of this band works well independently and as a homogenous unit. My favourite songs off the album are 'Saturday superhouse' and 'Now I'm eveeryone', because they showcase the harmonious relationship between all the instruments, and in 'Now I'm everyone' they prove that you don't always need amazing guitar riffs to make a song, the magnificent climax to the unassuming song nearly blew my cock off. Ten out of ten.

mr.glavin
    some of the tunes (love had a diameter) i don't like cos they're bummed too much by readio one. A good album but to a lifelong biffy fan not as good as there others
    Hungry_Hameds
    This is arguably their weakest album from the point of view of a diehard fan, but it's by no means a bad album, and something a lot of current lesser bands would never get anywhere near. They deserve the recognition this brought them, and leaves you eager in anticipation of the next record. One of the worlds most exciting bands.