The Vertigo of Bliss review by Biffy Clyro

• Released: Jun 16, 2003
Biffy Clyro: The Vertigo of Bliss

Biffy Clyro's second album The Vertigo Of Bliss is more advanced as song- writers and musicians than their debut album (Blackened Sky). Lead guitar Simon Neill has progressed and his riffs and guitar fills are quite brilliant. Also drummer Ben Johnstone's drum fills are excellent and add alot to the album. The album is over an hour long, but there are very varied songs. For example - 'Bodies in Flight', launches into a full vocal assault of hardcore proportion. While the next song, 'The Ideal Height' gives an amazing combination of quirky riffs and user friendly chorus. The album is hugely strong and personally I don't dislike one song on the album.

The lyrics as wrote by Simon Neill are brilliant and allways seem to feel of emotion. The lyrics allways suit the style of the music, for example the lyrics on the beautiful 'All the way down' echoe the haunting guitar work. Rarely vocals are spread out between all 3 members of the band - Simon Neill (Guitar), Ben Johnstone (Drums) and James Johnstone (Bass). These shared vocals add to songs like 'Questions and Answers. The vocals can 'scream as well as they can sing tenderly'. Brilliant.

This album may be musically advanced to Blackened Sky, however if you're new to Biffy then Blackened sky might be more user - friendly. The standout songs are - 'The Ideal Height', 'Liberate the Illiterate', 'Questions and Answers', 'Toys, Toys, Toys, Choke, Toys, Toys, Toys' and 'All The Way Down'. The list shows that the album is strong, as I could have easily named more. If I lost this album I'd be down to the shops already. It is beautiful, it is tough and it's engaging. I could easily listen to this album without getting bored. This album is my second favourite album. It's amazing, buy it now.

Ameh =)
    i havent heard this album yet...is it better or worse would you say, than Blackened Sky? I know you say that it has 'musically progressed' from BS...but is it better? Just wanting to know, so i can complete my collection >
    Rodders
    Yes. It is so much better (not that Blackened Sky was in any way bad), but this album is perfection.
    Fly-swatter
    Amazing album...not better than blackened sky though, although all the way down is phenomenal
    Thom Yorke
    Apart from a couple of exceptional records this is the best album ever made, if you haven't got it get it.